xviii. traitors

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Finan and Revna huddle by Osferth when Sihtric and Uhtred join them, Finan has his hands placed on the wound. Osferth coughs in pain, Finan looks over at her with fear and she places a comforting hand on his shoulder, she smiles lightly when he kisses her hand. She chose to ignore the looks the other two Danes shot her.

"Osferth?"

"He's alive, lord. Maybe next time, we'll be lucky, eh?" Finan said softly.

"Did you see my fighting, lord?" Osferth asked and then looked at her for approval.

"I did, it was a sight to behold." She nodded in agreement and gripped Finan's shoulder tighter.

"I hope I killed no man."

"You gave many a sore head." Uhtred reassured.

"I feel cold."

"Because it's winter, you fool!" Finan replied making Revna snicker in amusement, Uhtred placed a hand on Osferth's chest.

"You were a warrior today, Osferth."

"Am I to die, lord? I do not fear it." Osferth questions and Revna chooses that moment to crouch next to Finan.

"No, Osferth. Death will not take you anytime soon." She spoke and gently brushed back his hair to comfort him.

"I forbid it." Finan proceeded to smack Osferth in the face lightly and Revna punched him with narrowed eyes.

"You dare die, baby monk, and I'll kill you myself." Finan threatened the boy.

"Right, I'll try not to, then." Osferth said weakly.

"You will return to Aethelflæd's estate, you will recover there." Uhtred ordered.

"Yes, lord."

"What of Skade?" Sihtric asked, she noticed he was tense.

"She's been taken by Hæsten."

"Then nothing has changed. We remain cursed still." Sihtric said bitterly causing Revna to stand up in alarm, Sihtric was acting out for some reason.

"I am cursed."

"It touches us all, lord. It continues." Revna decides to pull Sihtric to the side to talk some sense into him.

"What are you doing?" She snapped, now was not the time for him to second guess Uhtred.

"He's not thinking clearly, he will get us all killed." Sihtric hissed in anger and brushed past her, she bristled at the display. He had never pushed away in such a harsh act, she frowned at the man as he walked to his horse.

She feared her new relationship with Finan would be put to the test soon enough.

She sits next to Finan as they feast in Aethelflæd's hall, Finan has his head on her shoulder resting peacefully. The prisoners watch her cautiously as they fear what she might do, Sihtric remains unusually quiet.