xiii. haesten's men

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"And we will do what, hide?" Aethelflæd asked looking at them, Revna stood between Finan and Sihtric. The three were itching for a fight but Uhtred had other plans it seemed.

"We will make an advantage out of this abbess, the hostages are dead men breathing. You cannot save them what we must do now is save the lives of your nuns and my men." Uhtred said looking her way.

"And Aethelflæd." Osferth said.

"Abbess?"

"Aye."

"I will do it." Another woman says.

"No, no this is my house. It's my responsibility, I will do it." Abbess says and walks outside.

"It is Hæsten, with no more than forty men, that I can see." Uhtred told them and Revna was beginning to hate the Danes.

"Then let us fight them." Finan begged the lord and looked at Revna who shot him a grin.

"No, wait." Uhtred ordered as Aethelflæd gasped at whatever she witnessed outside.

"Lord, now?" Finan asked.

"We do nothing yet." Uhtred demands. Finan and Sihtric share a look, Revna nudged Finan with a frown as Sihtric fidgets with his sword ready for a fight. They wait for Hæsten to open the door before attacking. Revna used her weapon of choice to slit the throats of men and kicked them to the ground as she bashed in their heads as she yelled with fury. Hæsten and his remaining men ran leaving a handful of men dead, Revna used her sleeve to wipe some of the blood from her face.

"We are trapped." Aethelflæd said and looked fearfully her way.

"We're alive and they are twelve or thirteen men less." Uhtred told the princess, Finan, and Sihtric walked to Revna and she thanked her brother who helped her wipe away the remaining blood.

"But we are trapped under a wooden roof."

"What do you suggest then, lady? That you give yourself over?" Finan said as he reached to place a hand on Revna's arm. Revna raised an eyebrow at the Irishman but leaned into the touch.

"Yes, Hæsten's right. Why should I live when so many others have died." The princess said looking at them with a frown.

"Hæsten has never spoken the truth in his life. Do not say as much again, never of those men have died for no reason." Uhtred demanded walking to her. Once night falls she sees the light from Hæsten's torches and the shouts of the men following orders.

"All doors have been blocked on the outside apart from that one." Finan says as he walks back into the room.

"Will they set a fire?"