Chapter 41: Too much Ice

Location: Norwegian Outpost, Antarctica

Unit: GOU

Date: 21st February 2023 CE

The GOU trudged down the icy corridor, their boots crunching against the frozen ground. Occasionally, they passed a member of the base's personnel patrolling the area, and Sab exchanged a quick glance with each of them. The soldiers continued on their way without uttering a word.

As they ascended the staircase, Sab pushed open the door to a room carved entirely out of ice. The biting cold seeped through their clothing and chilled them to the bone, causing them to instinctively pull up their hoods. Startled soldiers whirled around, their voices echoing through the frigid chamber, "Close the door!"

Quickly Sab shut the door and checked his watch, "Give 'em a minute."

Zeller flicked her chin up, "This base... it's not new, but that would mean the Norwegian government were preparing for a war in Antarctica. But that brings up the question of why?"

Sab nodded, "This base was built around a cave system in the late 1990s for researchers to study Antarctica, during 2010 this facility started to pick up weird signatures of a base. Upon further investigation we came to the conclusion it belonged to the Lian Walters, through black operations with your Captain here, from 2015 onwards it was put into FSK hands and we were instructed to watch carefully but not engage."

Zeller looked at Mclaw who spoke, "I'm surprised you heard about that."

Sab nodded, "Information travels fast. Especially when their leader has the name of the embodiment of death, himself."

With a soft hiss, the door slid open, revealing a soldier who removed his hood and spoke to Sab in Norwegian. "Sir..." he began.

Sab replied, and the soldier stepped aside, gesturing for the GOU to enter. Sab pointed to the ceiling, indicating the current number of combat soldiers and base personnel in the room. "There are thirty combat soldiers and several base personnel here," he said.

As Mclaw entered, his gaze swept across the walls, which were lined with snowmobiles. The machines gleamed in the harsh light, their engines silent and still, "Have any more vehicles except those?"

Sab shook his head, "This is it, we may not have much... but they do their job,"

Mclaw knelt next to one looking closer, "Can I have one?"

Mounts rolled his eyes, whispering, "We trained on Jet Skis, not snowmobiles."

Mclaw looked back, "Don't worry, we only need one, and I'll be the one riding it."

Sab raised an eyebrow intervening, "I've not said you can have it yet!"

Mclaw spun on his heels, "Well, can I?"

Sab tapped his elbow, knowing he couldn't say no, "Fuck it, go for it, I can't stop you anyway."

Mclaw checked beneath the seat. A compartment.

Quickly chucking a small pack in it he closed the lid, "Right, no one is to touch this snowmobile, understood?" he paused, "I'll bring the GOU to our harbour area and then come back on my own for it."

Sab nodded, "I thought you said you were leaving later?"

Mclaw looked at him, "Changed my mind."

He walked back through the base to the entrance, unhooking his helmet from the rack and securing it onto his gear. The other members of the GOU followed suit. Sab stood behind them and quipped, "You know, you're really messing with our schedule!"