Chapter 16: One Last Thing

Location: Northern Oregon, United States of America

Unit: Global Operations Unit

Date: May 12th, 2021 CE

Mabasa spoke into his headset, "We're late, how long till we arrive."

The pilot responded in a harsh tone, "You're the one who wanted to resupply ammunition in Nevada."

The co-pilot then interrupted, "Our ETA is 1300 hours on the dot."

 The pilot smirked, "That's if the bullet magnet doesn't get shot down..."

Zeller spoke into her headset, "Well that's an encouraging thought."

They all sat in the chinook after nearly a day of travelling, along with the time the pilots had to rest for so they wouldn't faint from exhaustion and cause a crash. That's the last thing humanity needed today.

Mounts grabbed a headset and placed it over his ears, "So could I hear more about your unit?" He paused, "I know you're some type of special forces division, but I have no idea about what you do..."

Mabasa started to speak, "I'm not gonna give you the better than the best speech, but basically we are a special operations unit designed to drop deep behind enemy lines and survive for years with no contact with command, we will only request communication once our mission is complete or it's too dire to continue. Our leader is Captain Mclaw, nicknamed Reaper-1, most of his information is classified, but I can tell you he is the best there is."

Mounts listened carefully and waited until he knew Mabasa had stopped speaking, "So where is this Captain Mclaw?"

Mabasa understood why he was asking this question, "What I'm about to tell you is highly classified and no one outside of this helicopter can hear about this; Mclaw may have been infected with a sort of mind control virus which we believe may be responsible for creating the entity we know today as the NZA. Currently, no noticeable side effects have changed his personality."

Mounts took this very well, "I see, that's very interesting, the NZA soldiers are mind controlled? That sure explains their robotic-like movements. But how can we know Mclaw wasn't turned into a sleeper agent by the virus."

Mabasa scratched his chin, "Well from my limited knowledge and the little water cooler talk I overheard, Mclaw seems to have built up a resistance to things that affect the mind, I am aware he's served throughout the middle east, but I still have zero clue how he developed it."

Mounts became even more interested after this, "Really?"

In Mounts's head, he had developed this image of a man with slicked back silver hair with bulky muscles covered in scars, head to toe.

Zeller decided to speak up, "I once overheard a rumour that Mclaw served even further back the middle east campaigns," she paused, "They said that Mclaw served both in the Falklands and the Iraq war, even being on Task Force 121 with delta and the other US special forces branches."

Mabasa laughed, "Mclaw's in his mid to late 20's, there is no way in hell he fought in the Falklands."

Mounts frowned, "Being so accomplished, I thought he'd be older..."

The female soldier who sat next to Turner chuckled to herself, "We all did. But Mabasa was so shocked he fell to his knees and screamed 'NOOOO', it was hilarious."

Mabasa rolled his eyes, "Now that's just a straight-up lie, Soman."

This female soldier's name was Kanti Soman, one of the only female Gorkhas to pass training in the Indian Gorkha regiment, she and Mclaw met while they were both escorting diplomates in 2020. Having crushed an old rifle with her bare hands she caught Mclaw's eyes.