Chapter 2: The Arctic Ghost

Location: Outskirts of Kyiv, Ukraine

Unit: 40th Tactical Aviation Brigade, Ukrainian Air Force

Date: March 25th, 2021 CE

A voice spoke, "My dear humanity!" the voice paused, "Today, we stand upon a momentous day!"

Murmuring came from in front of the voice. This voice... was coming from a member of what was once the New Zealand government. He stood on a wooden stage with Red and black banners with a white silver fern placed in the middle. This politician was none other than the famed humanitarian and loved internet personality, Lian Walters, but today he was acting differently... he was ecstatic that his glorious purpose had finally come to fruition. Today he stood on live TV and was about to shake humanity to its core...

"Over the last few decades, you have ruined this planet. But that's not all you've broken in such a perfectly crafted world, you've destroyed the natural order and made people's lives much harder."

He disgusted look grew on his face, "My people have been sent to fight for you. Americans, British and all NATO members. Fighting those armed by the Russian, Chinese and Ex-eastern bloc nations. So after several years of up-armament, we are ready to challenge the false order you have made. We are ready to challenge... humanity."

He leaned closer to the microphone, "I do not regret to inform you, that YOU are at war with the remnants of this once incredible world. So, let me make this clear for everyone here, my nation, the Oceanic Empire is here to solve the world's biggest problem. And we believe this world's problems start with every single one of you."

From behind his back, he pulled something, it was small, no bigger than a hand. But a few seconds later it clicked as the slide moved forward... a pistol. He raised it and fired the trigger several times into a crowd of cameramen and women. Suddenly the camera went to static saying the broadcast was interrupted.

A Ukrainian voice spoke, "What the hell, it's not April 1st today, right?" He shrugged off the broadcast and went back to work at his desk, their air patrol had just come back in and the second group of MiGs were preparing to take off. The rest would be back in about thirty minutes.

Rubbing his eyes, he heard a ringing come from a telephone, picking it up, he spoke, "Who is this?"

A worried Slavic voice came through, "Finally, I got through to someone! Listen, don't hang up!"

The Ukrainian Air Traffic Controller asked again, "Who is calling this phone line?"

The Slavic voice spoke again, "This is Colonel-General Fedorov of the Russian Federation... we would like to request the Ukrainian air force's help..."

The Ukrainian hovered above the phone holder, considering cutting the Russian off, but he couldn't, pulling back to his ear he spoke, "Why do you need our help, can't your new fleet handle whatever is going on!"

The Russian Colonel-General spoke again, "You know nothing? That's not our fleet, it's an Oceanic Empire fleet!"

The Ukrainian looked left and right, "The Oceanic who now?"

The Russian was shocked, "You didn't watch the broadcast, they just declared war on us?"

The Ukrainian tilted his head, "So it's not a joke... eh, why should we care about you a lot? You and us don't even get along, especially after 2014!"

The Russian bit his lip, "Look... I'm sorry about that, if you help us we can make arrangements to hand it back with our government gone!"

The Ukrainian smiled, "Well I'm going to have to discuss it with my government first, so..."