Chapter 34: A Barren Little Colony

Location: HMS Sutherland, 50km from West Falkland

Unit: GOU, Royal Navy

Date: 26th April 2022 CE

Zeller looked off the bow of the frigate, "Never been this far south before."

Mclaw smiled back, "Been a while for me as well, I believe it was the mid-1990s when we completed our project here, after that we left a small group of operators in case the Argies decided to come back."

James chuckled, walking up behind them, "Got to be prepared for every scenario right?"

Mclaw turned around as a tall wave splashed his shoes, "Well, I have to share some of the US military's budget around."

Zeller cracked a smile turning to Mclaw, "So what even is this safe house we're going to?"

Mclaw sighed, "Well after 1982, I feared the Argentine Military would come back once it was rebuilt. My paranoia of modern warfare lead to the creation of Project Foreign Defence. Its goal was to secure islands like west and east Falkland along Hong Kong from foreign invasion, we used well over a billion from the Americans, without them knowing of course."

James raised an eyebrow, "How much money have you stolen from the Americans in the past?"

Mclaw tilted his head left and right, "I wouldn't say stolen, more like tactically acquired."

Zeller chuckled, "Bet they didn't even notice it."

Mclaw turned back to face the ocean, "Well, they nearly did," he paused, "We managed to destroy all evidence of the one in Hong Kong on the handover. However, stupidly, a group of kids stumbled into the other base in the Falklands by accident in 2001, at the time there were no guards, as it was just after the September 11th attacks and our focus was on the middle east."

James eye's widened, "Holy shit, that was you?"

Zeller raised an eyebrow, "How do you know about this?"

James looked at her, "So basically, from the articles, I read a British Army Bunker was found with a shit load of firearms and artillery along with several anti-ship missiles."

Zeller slapped her forehead, "So the press blew it up, and the Argies got pissed?"

Mclaw nodded, "Exactly, it was a political nightmare, as I had this built without the knowledge of the British government, they wanted to destroy it, but I had Kyton push to absorb it into the island's defence force," Mclaw sighed, "Any way we're nearly here, you two should grab your gear."

James and Zeller nodded heading beneath the deck.

Mclaw saw the beach as several Matt Black vehicles sat on the shoreline with a few figures running around.

He sighed heading into the steel structure.

***

James sat in the back of a vehicle as it bounced along the well-worn path. Next to him sat Baker, who had his rifle unloaded and pointing up, he was pulling the charging handle back and forth before the rifle clicked. Zeller in the front seat started to tap the window. They started to make a beat, and moving in sync they complemented each other's rhythms. James watched carefully attempting to predict when the change of pace would come.

Suddenly, Zeller's beat got faster and Baker quickly adapted to her. Not a word was spoken. Suddenly, the vehicle hit a huge pothole and both of them immediately stopped. James was completely shocked, these two were in complete sync. Baker noticed James looking between them, he just smiled at James. Before turning back to his window. Watching the empty landscape, he leaned his head against the window.