Chapter 28: West to Far East

Location: USS Dwight D Eisenhower, Pacific Ocean

Unit: GOU, Coalition forces

Date: 7th April 2022 CE

The waves were calm today, it was the twelfth day since the crew of the fleet had seen land. There was nothing but water around them. the crew on deck were starting to become tense, they knew the enemy could attack at any moment. This is how it had been for days now, patrols had to be constant, and gunners had to be ready to open fire. Because here, they may be the hunter today, but what about the day after? All of them knew this was a game of cat and mouse, but no one knew who the mouse was.

On the vessel's bridge, several officers manned their stations. Behind one of the radar operators stood a man in British MTP, the man had black hair with a few strands of brown to match his eyes. On his hip, he carried a holstered M1911 pistol.

"If you're going to keep staring at sailors like that, one of them may report you," A man said in a Californian accent.

The Brit turned to him, "Sorry, spaced out there."

The Californian smiled, "Chill out, Mclaw, we won't win the war today."

Mclaw smiled, "I guess so, keep me updated," he pointed at the Captain of the ship, as he exited the bridge.

Walking down the steel corridors, he exited onto the deck. Feeling the wind of the high seas brush across his face, rubbing his chin he swore, "I need a fucking shave."

He turned to his left seeing a feminine figure standing there, Zeller. She was holding an ice cream in her left hand while carrying a large rectangle under her right arm. She was dressed in a set of summer clothes and a wide straw hat.

Mclaw frowned at her as she just looked him dead in the eyes, "Sir."

Sighing, Mclaw spoke, "I don't even want to know, do I?"

Zeller just looked at him blankly, pretending to have no idea what he meant. Just as she heard a whistle from a group of Sailors, she turned to them giving them a dark glare as they went silent.

Mclaw spoke again, "Fucking hell, I'll deal with this tomorrow." He turned and walked back into the carrier before descending the steps, trailing behind him was Zeller, Mclaw turned his head slightly, "Get your gear on and tell Burt as well, we're expecting visitors."

Zeller nodded as she turned down one of the many corridors. Mclaw continued on before reaching another section of the ship, bashing the walls he spoke, "GOU males, number off."

"1!"

"2!"

"3!"

They numbered off one by one before each coming out into the hallway.

"10, last man, Sir!"

Mclaw nodded as he saw them all standing to attention, "At ease, lads," All slowing coming to the position of ease, Mclaw waited, "We ready now?"

They all nodded, expecting him to continue, "Right then, recently I've been hearing a rumour going around the ship... a rumour that the GOU are nothing but an undisciplined menace, could someone answer me as to why that is?"

York spoke, "It's because we don't contribute to the ship, Sir."

Mclaw sighed, "Incorrect, it's because you lot are drawing the crew away from their positions to help with your little shenanigans. For example, just a few minutes ago I caught Zeller with a sun lounger on the flight deck. No clue how she got it, but doing that in front of the rest of the crew doesn't help morale, it damages it."