Chapter 31: Militia

Author's Message:

Hey there! Right so, I sorta made a mistake with the timeline of the second core of Another World at War... you know how the Japan Arc takes place in autumn 2021? Yeah well, it should have really taken place in Spring 2022. This was my mistake, sorry! 

It is now fixed on all platforms. Anyway on with the story

-J

~~~~~

Location: Niigata, Japan

Unit: GOU, Coalition forces

Date: 8th April 2022 CE

James looked at Mclaw, fitting a small radio over his ear along with a larger set of Ear Defenders to replace the smaller ear plugs, "What's the plan?"

Mclaw spoke back, "We need to get underground, the city is crawling with NZA, command believes there are several death troopers so we are going to hide," pausing he switched the focus to Burt, "Lock down the vehicles, I don't want them flipping when command works their magic."

Burt nodded at him tapping a few button on her pad, "Done."

Mclaw turned to Lake, "Find me the nearest man hole, preferably in a back alley connected with ours."

Lake nodded, "There is one quite close, just two streets away, not a back alley, but there seems to be no NZA in a 500 metre radius."

Mclaw nodded, "Send the data to my goggles," he nodded pulling a small see through plate from pouch along with a large battery. Sliding it underneath the glass in his goggles, he tapped a button on the battery, as the screen looked up.

A Heads Up Display appeared, showing him moving projection of red figures through walls along with distances changing every few seconds, behind him stood a few blue figures with one yellow figure, James. A few hundred metres away in the opposite direction was a marker above what seemed to be exactly what he was looking for.

Mclaw nodded, "Good work."

James just looked at him, "Anyone have a 9mm magazine?" He paused looking around, "My pistol's out."

Zeller just looked at him, "Who gave the child a gun?"

James shot her daggers, she just looked back, will a somewhat disgusted look on her face. Mclaw intervened, "Calm down you two, I've taught James to shoot myself, anyone pick up a magazine from the dead?"

Mounts nodded, "Here's one." he tossed a small steel bloodied object to James as he didn't hesitate to load it. 

Keeping it to his side he loosened his grip.

Mclaw looked at James nodding, "Let's move, I'll take point."

Mclaw stood up, Lake followed close behind. Quickly they swept down alleyways and roads, securing positions. There was no one, it was dead silent.

They continued in silence, James watched the windows when saw a flash of darkness in the window. He gulped as he tightened his grip on the pistol.

He tapped his radio, "Brown building, left side... I saw movement."

Mclaw turned around, switching to thermals.

Nothing.

He turned to James, "Are you sure?"

James nodded at him.

Looking back at the window, closer this time he saw a single desolate figure standing in the window... they looked odd. Almost uncanny...