Chapter 5: The Californian Front

Location: Near Visalia, California, United States of America

Unit: Company A, 184th Infantry Regiment, US Army

Date: April 30th, 2021 CE

The world had been at war for a month now; tens of millions already dead, nukes owned by UN countries made redundant and the fear of another enemy nuclear attack grew larger by the day. Then came the attack on Hawaii. By the end of the week, not a single soul was left on any of the islands.

First came the airstrikes; the newest fighter jet was created to look like a mix of the A10 and an F35 which have been identified as AH-P1s on cracked enemy transmissions. Then came the navy, they launched everything they could. All their railgun battleships launched round after round at the major civilisation centres. Finally, came the landing forces. Hundreds of soldiers stormed the island, taking airfields, naval ports and other important locations. The few remaining American civilians came out of their houses to fight the invaders but were ultimately crushed by the overwhelming military might of the NZA, some tried to surrender. But the robotic-like NZA marines showed no mercy to the non-combatants. That dark day was soon to be dubbed the Hawaiian Massacre.

Not even two days after the attack on Hawaii, with a victorious NZA, the enemy fleet appeared off the West Coast again. Instantly the US launched several hundred non-nuclear cruise missiles sinking one of the battleships, two destroyers and a light aircraft carrier while disabling the first main fleet carrier. The rest were either ineffective or shot down.

Very few NZA marines were killed in the missile strikes leaving them to confront the US National Guard stationed there.

It had been a few days since then and a stalemate had formed thanks to militia groups employing guerrilla warfare but they just had to hold out until the rest of the guard got there so the full might of the US armed forces could push the NZA out. But like all things, it's easier said than done.

A small platoon of thirty US soldiers stood inside a wrecked compound in the city once known as Visalia, where their HQ used to be nearby. But was inevitably levelled by NZA bombardments. Now they just had to hide in nearby buildings, resupply the militias and provide training on weapon systems.

A Lieutenant, who went by the name of Joe Royston, smashed his fist against the wooden table before bringing it back and shaking it, "Dammit all! Where are those fuckin' reinforcements, I have to have my corporals lead whole militia groups like they are Lieutenant FUCKIN' COLONELS!" by the end of his sentence he had completely lost his cool, "We are stretched too thin, we need to pull back troops and get everyone here faster!"

Across the room, a Sergeant sat in the corner smoking a cigarette, "Calm down, Sir. We have confirmation they'll be here in a week at maximum."

The Platoon leader stopped moving before raising his fist and pushing his nails so tight into his palm that it looked like they might come out the other side, "That's the problem! Seven days! And when has the military ever known to be on top of things? Sure we put all this money into gear and training but we can't use it as politics get in the way."

The Sergeant stood up, "Calm down, this isn't the time to be pissed at the military, Sir," the second in command had an unimpressed look on his face with several rings forming under his eyes.

"I know, I know. But I'm still pissed at them," he paused, whispering to himself, "Seven days at a minimum." He turned away and inhaled plenty of air before an exhale came, only to lead to a sigh, "We have a drop to make, inform the rest of the unit."

The Sergeant nodded before leaving the run-down room.

***

Some time had passed and everyone was loading up the heavy supply crates. Some of the newest vehicles sat on the baron roads, they were the replacements for the old Humvee which had been in service since 1983. These four-wheeled monsters were called the Joint Light Tactical Vehicles or JLTVs.