Chapter 33: Torture

Location: HMS Sutherland, Caribbean Sea

Unit: GOU, Royal Navy

Date: 16th April 2022 CE

Mclaw sat there cleaning his pistol. He was nearly done.

Finally pulling the magazine apart, Mclaw grabbed a small knife from his boot. Pressing the tip into a small square, he heard it click as the spring fell away. Pulling a small rag, he placed it over the top of the main magazine, then he put some liquid on it before starting to push it through. Dust and mud started to seep out. He continued this again and again until it was clean.

Putting drops of oil on the magazine, he rubbed the steel up and down.

Just as he was about to reassemble it he heard a scream.

Mclaw swore upon hearing the scream. Pulling an old submachine gun from the wall, he chambered a round and ran down the corridor. Turning the corridor he saw James sitting on the bed. Sweat covered his face as it dripped down onto the sheets.

Mclaw lowered his weapon, "Nightmare?"

James' head was frozen facing forward, "It would be more accurate to call it reliving a memory."

Mclaw sat on the unoccupied bed next to James, "Want to get it off your chest?"

James thought for a second, "March 25th, 2021," he paused, "The day of the attack."

Mclaw knew where James was going with this, but he didn't interrupt. He let him continue.

James started to recount the events of his past... he explained what he saw that day. 

He remembered pondering his mind while heading home on the bus. He remembered when the first few shots rang out. He remembered being dragged off the coach as the screams of those who refused to move pierced his ear drums. 

The yelling echoed in his mind as the instructors were beaten within an inch of their lives. Some of them had their kneecaps caved in and bone poked through revealing the sticky red substance that was supposed to be hidden beneath. While others had horrifically bruised faces, broken noses and several missing teeth scattered across the tarmac road.

Then, they came to one of the Cadet Lance Corporals next to him. Pointing his rifle at the Cadet, he spoke to one of the adults, "If you don't tell us where the Minister of Defence is... you'll see what a child's brain matter looks like."

James noticed the fear in the Lance Corporal's eyes, as the adult started to plead, telling them they were just from the Cadet Force. But the enemy started to count down, "FIVE! FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE--"

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out as the enemy slumped forward with a chunk of the left side of his head missing. James knelt behind the dead body, pistol still pointed at where the head once was. Standing up, he remarked, "Damn, this pistol is a bit heavier than the Glock."

He smiled turning around, seeing several of the enemy staring at him, cocking his head to the right he looked at them as they shook, "Gonna kill any more of us?" Before they could react he brought his pistol up into the firing position, snapping between targets. Several dropped before the slide locked to the rear. James checked the chamber noticing it was empty.

Seeing two of the enemy left he frowned, knowing what would come next, "Come one you stupid fuckers, gonna kill me or what?"

They aimed in as James raised his arms to each side. Suddenly, he heard a click as both their guns jammed, James smiled, "Well I'll be damned."

Then two shots rang out behind him as a bullet pierced the chests of both the enemy.

James looked to the left, noticing the Lance Corporal Holding the M4-style rifle, "You lucky bastard," he chuckled.