Chapter 8: Set It Off

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States of America

Units: 22nd Special Air Service, British Army. 82nd Airborne, US Army.

Date: May 3rd, 2021 CE

"I want one," Mclaw said as he dodged a railgun round with no more than the tilt of his head.

He looked to one side where the bullet had hit, then with a twist of his head he looked at the terrified militiaman at his feet. When he entered the building to look for the origin of the scream, he encountered the very same fighter. This fighter ended up pointing their weapon at Mclaw and asking several questions before being satisfied with the answers. Once he was satisfied, the militiaman took Mclaw to the rooftop where he now stood.

"Mr Government, please keep your head down," the leader said, his name was Jett Clampton.

Jonathon had never heard that nickname before, "Call me Reaper and I'm from the British Government as well," he responded in kind, "Also I'll stand if that's fine with you."

The militia muttered amongst themselves confused as to what a person from the British Government was doing here.

"Ok Reaper, what are you doing here and where's the rest of your team?" Jett questioned with his chin on the floor.

A buzzing came from Mclaw's ear before someone spoke over the other side, "Charges set, just need the command, Sir."

Mclaw walked forward so he was staring the enemy down, without looking away from the building ahead he spoke to the resistance, "They're ready."

Another member spoke, "Could you be any less vague?"

"How's this for vague?" Mclaw turned around grinning before he spoke into a small microphone on his face, "Set it off."

The right side of the enemies' building exploded in flame and shrapnel, shards of bricks, glass and steel flew through the air and the building started to tilt. And tilt. And tilt.

The building collapsed leaving smoke and dust clouds littering the street. Rubble covered the back alley with only the smallest amount covering the highway. The militias building started to shake and many members started to shout for help

Mclaw looked over the edge as the rumbling stopped, "That was one hell of a controlled explosion," he turned back, "Anyway my job here is done, gather your troops and find a new HQ the enemy knows your position."

Mclaw stabbed a peg into the side of the building and threw a rope off the side of the building, clipping onto it and he jumped. The rope and clip tightened together with the lower he fell, suddenly he was nearly at the bottom. Hitting the brakes the small metal hoop tightened around the wire causing it to clip in and lock on the wire no more than a few metres above the ground. Quickly, Mclaw unhooked and brought his rifle around.

Something moved.

It was no more than a flash in the background but there was movement. Mclaw questioned whether one of them survived, "Was it possible?" He asked himself.

He took one step forward realising his mistake. Behind him, someone... no it was something jumped from the shadow at a horrifying speed. Mclaw turned to look who it was as he brought the butt of his weapon down on the enemy's face. But nothing happened... It was gone.

"What the hell," Mclaw pushed his rifle to his back and drew his M1911 and blade, "Come out, if you want to live" he spoke softly.

Nothing came.

Suddenly the padding of footsteps filled the air around him and he swung around still pointing his pistol, finger on the trigger he tightened nearly pulling it.