chapter two

"BEFORE YOU GET off, there is something you must know," Sister Charlotte announced to the group of orphans in the van. They had all piled together on the side of the bus closest to the approaching house, mouths agape as it dawned on them where they would be staying for the next few years - hopefully

After the woman had spoken, all the heads of the girls turned to face her with raised brows in question. She smiled, clearing her throat. "There will be a boy that we share this house with, he has stayed there for a year now." Suddenly, the Sister realised, what a mistake it was to mention.

The bus erupted into excited squeals, the girls jumping around with laughter and shouts, before Carol stood up and silenced them all. "How old is he?" She asked with a quirk of her brow, sharing a knowing glance with Nancy and Alaina.

Sister Charlotte tilted her head with a deadpan, knowing, secretly, why the girl was asking. Once upon a time, she was just like the young teen. "He is seventeen." All the girls turned to Alaina, watching as she bloomed red. They all laughed, some nudging her shoulder with wiggling brows while others oohed beneath their breaths. "But . . . I do not encourage any . . . you know what . . . for any reason, whatsoever, is that clear?"

Nancy and Carol rolled their eyes while Alaina nodded softly, the younger girls not having to respond at all. "I'm just saying, you don't want poor, lonely Alaina staying lonely forever," Carol reasoned as she threw an arm back to rest on the brunette's shoulder with raised brows. The other girls nodded along with her, ignoring the eldest orphan shoving her face into her hands out of embarrassment.

"Guys!" She pleaded, only earning laughter in response. She tried to push it away, but she couldn't help but notice the knowing smile gracing Sister Charlotte's lips as she turned back towards the house.

"We're here, girls!" The woman at the front of the bus shouted excitedly as the van itself pulled to a stop. They all rushed off the van with squeals, leaving one little girl with her doll behind. 

"Need help, Jan?" Alaina offered politely with a soft smile. The younger girl in question looked up at her with mock annoyance.

"You and Linda said you wouldn't treat me any differently," she reasoned with a pop of her hip and a raise of her left brow. Jokingly, Alaina rolled her eyes.