epilogue

ANNABELLE HAUNTED THE people who once lived in the Mullins household as she always would - only in the mental sense. Sometimes Sister Charlotte would pass by a window and see a doll in a rocking chair outside, but it would disappear in a blink of an eye. Sometimes Linda would see something move from the darkness in the corner, but upon further inspection, there was nothing there. Sometimes Alaina could feel herself flying, being pressed against a wall and held there as she cried in pain with a devil quickly approaching, but then she'd wake up. She always woke up.

Technically, Jack and Alaina didn't run away. The technicalities were hard to explain, too insignificant, too boring. They'd spoken to Sister Charlotte, eventually talking to the other orphans too, upon their plans of moving away. They needed to leave, as they found everything reminded them of the hauntings that took place in the old castle of a house. That was the last thing they wanted. That was the last thing they needed.

Alaina was conflicted in the beginning. Linda was the one to convince her to leave, even though she was the very reason the brunette didn't want to leave in the first place.

Linda was a shy girl. She wasn't popular among the orphans, or well-adored, or seen. Carol looked over, and everyone followed Carol's orders. Once upon a time it was Alaina they followed, but now she was leaving so they fell to the next in line, even if it was the girl who deserved it the least. Alaina knew that, which was a secondary reason for staying, but Linda convinced her against that too.

She knew what Alaina needed - space and Jack Champion. Sure, she wanted to help the girls that needed it - Linda herself and Nancy - and yet, she didn't know how she would. The conversation started with smiles and ended with tears, Linda basically pushing her away with a forced smile and a nod of encouragement. She would survive, and with Nancy's helpful statement of promising to stick up for the younger girl, Alaina caved in. To this very day she continued to write to Linda and Nancy, the rest of the girls on the off occasion. She even spoke to Janice through the wind outside her new window, even when the girl was miles away. 

Janice had escaped through a hole in the plaster, running away to lands in the distance to continue her manipulating. When Jack and Alaina moved away the brunette was scared they'd be found by the spirit, Jack's hold on her every night only doing so much to stop the nagging thoughts. She only lost the idea of it a year or two later when the memories slowly started fading away to the back of her mind with the rest of them. She wanted to forget about it, but how could she, when everything good in her life occurred at the very same time?

She still didn't know how they pulled it off. They both had money to their names from their parents death, so they used that to buy the cheapest apartment they could. They worked all day, spending their spare time with each other for as long as they could possibly manage. They never seemed to get sick of each other, as even years later when they'd moved to a proper house, they were still together as happily as ever. Maybe it was the pain they'd once endured, or the memories that'd haunt them forever. Whatever it was, they were grateful.

Jack and Alaina's journey was something unlike anything else, as it never ended. 

They heard on the news twelve years after the events of the Mullins house that a cult and their leader had brutally murdered a pair of adoptive parents. It was found to be the cult leader's parents, who was revealed as someone the couple had forgot existed. Annabelle, last name undisclosed. It could've been any Annabelle in the world, but when a picture popped up of what Janice would've looked like when she was older, Alaina turned on the couch to look at Jack, his arm slung around her shoulder. Suddenly, she couldn't breathe, because she was back, and they didn't know . . .

were they safe?