chapter eleven

ALAINA AND JACK woke up at almost the same time. Like usual, the girl had woken up before the boy, her head stirring in his lap as she stifled a yawn. The sudden movement brought him out of his inner dreams too, that were more like nightmares than dreams in all.

In their sleep, Jack's hand had managed to fall across her waist, the blanket being the only thing that separated their prolonged touch. One of her arms had moved back on it's own, gently lying against his knees. She stretched it towards the ceiling with a groan, hearing a satisfying click deep within her body that relieved her of the immense pressure.

"Sleep well," Jack asked, his voice deep like it was when she first woke him up int he night. Last night. Annabelle. The ghost. The daughter. The death. Her death. Alaina inwardly shuddered as she pressed her eyes closed once more.

She sighed. "Well enough," she whispered, a smile overtaking her lips. "Did you?"

He didn't want to lie - he hated lying, especially to her - but for the sake of her strong, pitiful mind, he did. Besides, it was only a minor lie that weighed less than a grain of sand. "Yeah," he whispered, looking down into her eyes that opened once more. "I went to sleep after you."

She frowned. "You didn't wait up for me, did you?" She watched as his sight darted away from her to the television box across from them, raising his brows with a hint of a laugh as he shrugged his shoulders. The brunette beneath him couldn't help the grin that overtook her face, mirroring the one spreading across his. "Jack! Why'd you do that?"

"I wanted to make sure you actually fell asleep first," he reasoned softly, moving a strand of her hair that had fallen back across his lap towards the rest of her smooth locks. She smiled up at him.

"You really didn't have to do that," she muttered gently, reaching up to grab the boy's hand that was lingering ever so close to her face. She held it tightly in her own.

"I know," he grinned. She smiled, her eyes dancing in the light illuminated by the lamp beside them, before she felt a surge of something take over her. She ran her thumb across the back of his hand, it tracing that familiar circle she knew distracted his mind with a teasing grin. His eyes immediately flicked down to their hands.