chapter seven

ALAINA WAS SITTING on the floor when she saw Mr Mullins next. She had a book on astrology in her hands, balancing against the knees she had drawn up close to her chest. Her back was pressed against Jack's bed, the boy in question hovering above her, resting on top of his covers. His legs were dangling off the bed beside her, his eyes cast down as he read the same words as the girl beneath him. He only noticed the owner of the house when Alaina turned her head away from the book.

The teens smiled as the man stared at them, looking between them with a sigh before walking away. Alaina furrowed her brows, closing the book and looking up at the boy above her with a questioning frown. He only shrugged.

"Do you think he knows?" She asked softly, head pushing back against the soft covers of his bed. "Did you know before we came here?"

He frowned. "Know what?" He asked, leaning forward so his elbows rested on his knees. She looked over to his eyes, them locking on her own.

"About that thing . . . with the window, and the shed," she explained, her sight trailing off as the words tumbled past her lips. He pressed his lips together, an unwilling gulp travelling through his throat.

"Nothing ever . . ." he began in thought, his sight too latching on elsewhere to her eyes. "Nothing ever happened before you arrived." That was when she froze, eyes unmoving, as her fingers stopped subconsciously flicking through the pages. He hurriedly stammered to reword his awful meaning. "Not that . . . no, it's not your fault, that's not what I'm saying- I just think that . . . I think . . ."

"What do you think, Jack?" She asked, turning around in her seat to face him, she crossed her legs, hands draping over her knees, as she looked at him with raised brows. He expected anger, or annoyance, or even the girl standing up and walking out of the room, but her patience was unbearable. She still wore that soft expression that seemed to understand everyone and everything.

He let out a quiet, thankful breath. "I think . . . I don't know, really," he sighed, shoulders drooping as he continued to stare at the girl. "I think we need more of a reason to believe there even is a thing, but-" he watched her face fall, her patience disappearing as she sent him a deadpan expression. He shook his head with emphasis "but, I think that if it happens again, then we should . . . you know, investigate it, I guess."