chapter thirteen

THAT NIGHT ALAINA hadn't even closed her eyes before she gave up on sleep. She laid there on the bed, lamp on in-between herself and Jack Champion, who cautiously watched her in secret. He was worried, worried about her more than what could happen to them both, as she lay peacefully above her blanket with her nose pointed to the roof.

She needed water, she decided. When she was younger, before her life seemingly crumbled beyond reach, her mother used to bring her a glass of something every night. Whether it be iced water or cold milk or pressed juice, it all helped her sleep the same. It grew to a point where after the woman's tragic death, she couldn't fall asleep without it.

She turned her head to the side, her cheek hitting the pillow, just in time to catch Jack's left eye quickly falling shut. She smiled, more to herself than for anyone else, as she stifled a laugh.

"I saw you, Jack. I know you're not asleep," she teased lightly, watching as he nervously opened his eyes with a defeated groan. That was when she laughed aloud, letting the beautiful tone pour out over her orchid lips. How Jack missed that joyous sound.

"What's up?" He asked, blinking his eyes a few times to once again adjust to the sudden light before sitting up with a yawn, muffling it with a hand hovering over his mouth. She frowned.

"Would you mind coming downstairs to get water with me? I can go alone but I'd . . . I'd just prefer-"

"Lain," he said in a deadpan, looking at her as a smile slowly began to spread across his tinted cheeks. "Of course I'll go with you. You don't even have to ask."

She grinned, smile bright in the dimly-lit bedroom, before she gradually pulled herself to a stand. Earlier that day, Mr Mullins had walked into their room to clean the glass dangerously covering the floor, making a mental note to invest in a new light cover. However, while he was in the room he noticed a pair of feet, two pairs of feet, dangling over the edge of the roof. Hesitantly creeping closer, he came to the realisation that they belonged to the two eldest teenagers of Alaina and Jack. He couldn't help himself but smile.