chapter six

ALAINA LEFT LINDA to play with Janice in their bedroom, the brunette venturing out a few moments later to walk back outside. She found herself to freeze in the doorway, turning back with a softened expression as her eyes locked onto the girl with the fringe. She watched as her once stressed face lightened, a grin overtaking her innocent lips as she laughed with her friend of a similar age. Alaina couldn't help the strained tenseness that fell upon her face. How she wished she'd had that.

As she was moving throughout her childhood all the time with the orphanage, she was leaving her recently-made friends more than she liked. It seemed that as soon as she grew close to someone they were ripped away, the brunette placing her hand against the glass of the bus with tears in her eyes as she slowly drove away from the only friend she knew. It happened countlessly, more times than the amount of fingers on both of her hands. 

There were pairs throughout the orphanage - favourites, although nobody would admit it. Kate and Tierney, Carol and Nancy, Linda and Janice. They were each other's favourites, each other's number ones, and although Alaina knew she was somewhat close to almost all the girls, the best she got was second. She'd grown up clinging to it, holding the second place like her life depended on it, and yet, she wished for more. She was grateful, she was always grateful, but now, as she walked down the stairs with a smile slowly growing across her lips, she realised, maybe, just maybe, she would be someone's first place soon.

She didn't see anyone as she walked down the ground floor and out into the front yard. It was eerily quiet, almost silent, as the breeze blew her hair away from her eyes. She blinked, gulping as she eyed the shed only metres away. It was taunting her, calling out her name in a wicked, twisted way. It was the last place she wanted to go, and yet, she knew Jack was in there. So, with an unsteady breath, she stepped towards the old wooden door and pushed it open.

The first thing she noticed was the junk. It was everywhere. There were wooden benches lining the walls, cabinets higher than she could reach, and pails and buckets towered up on the dirt floor - all of which being covered in dirty cloths and tools Alaina couldn't even think of naming. She gulped, the silence eating at her trembling skin, as she slowly took a step forward to try and find Jack. It only took her a second to find him.