Joe eventually comes out of his catatonic state and speaks robotically, voicing no emotion at all. "Yeah, okay. I'll tell him." He hangs up the phone, not even bothering to wait for a reply from Taylor.

Jake gives him an urgent expression. "Who's in the hospital?"

"Dani."

Without even bothering to ask questions, Jake grabs his coat and begins walking towards the door. "Come on, I'll drive."

He shakes his head and watches as Jake quickly tells the other guy working to cover his shift. "No, no, that's alright. You should go, Scarlett needs you. I'll take myself."

"You're sure?"

He nods with that same blank expression. "Yeah, yeah. You go."

Jake nods and lets his co-worker know he's leaving before giving Joe a quick, comforting squeeze of the shoulder and walking out of the coffee house.

~~~

Logan rushes into the hospital and quickly makes his way to the waiting room. Scarlett lifts up her head and gives him a small grateful smile with the tears still evident down her face. She stands up and rushes over to him, wrapping her arms around him. "Thank you for coming."

He wraps his arms around her. "What's going on?" He pulls away and looks at her with questioning eyes. "What happened to Dani?"

She shakes her head and glances at the ground for a moment before looking back at him. "She has leukemia. How could she not tell us that she has leukemia?" A sympathetic look overwhelms his face as he pulls Scarlett in for another hug as she silently cries. Jake walks to the door and immediately stops in the doorway when he spots the two embracing.

Scarlett takes her head off of Logan's shoulder and sees Jake standing in the doorway. She immediately pulls away from Logan, feeling a rush of guilt she couldn't seem to shake for weeks now. "Jake."

"Hey."

Logan glances back at Jake for a moment. "I'm going to go get some coffee."

She nods and watches as he walks past Jake, not even acknowledging his presence.

Jake steps closer to Scarlett and stands in front of her with curious eyes. "Scar, I'm so sorry."

"She has-"

"-I know." He interrupts. "I heard you tell Logan. Did you know?"

She shakes her head. "No, she didn't tell anyone." She gives him a look of confusion and Jake reads her expression.

"Taylor called Joe and I was with him when he found out....I thought you could use a friend."

Her eyes widen with a slight glimmer of hope but it wasn't for the obvious reason. She had it in her head that when Joe showed up everything would be okay. He was Dani's best friend, he would be able to fix everything. "Joe's here?"

He shakes his head. "No, I offered to give him a ride but he said he would bring himself later."

"Later?!" Her eyes widen with a slight glare. "What the hell is his problem?! Dani is in the fucking hospital and he's going to take his sweet time?!" She clenches her teeth in anger and runs a hand through her messy hair.

Jake steps forward and places his hands on her arms trying to calm her down. "Scar, everything's going to be okay." She shakes her head as more tears surface. 

"How can anything be okay after this?"

~~~

Nick's standing outside of Dani's hospital room, starring through the glass with a cup of coffee in one hand when Mr. Landon steps out of her room with an exhausted expression. Nick steps away from the door and gives him a curious expression. "How is she?"