Chapter 54 - Meeting the Family

It was late Friday afternoon when Abhimanyu put the car in park outside his house. He looked over to see Akshara nervously toying with her fingers.

"Akshara, what is wrong? Why are you so nervous?"

"I don't know. I just feel weird you know. Especially since this is the first time I have been back since I moved out." She looked at him.

"There is nothing for you to worry about. Mom, Dad, Nishtha, everyone is dying to meet you again. You do know how sad they all got when you were leaving, don't you?"

She nodded her head. "Yes. But it still feels weird. Especially because they know —you and I —we are dating."

"In love, Akshara. In love. Madly, deeply, passionately in love. Saying we are just dating does not even begin to cover the magnitude of my feelings towards you." He stared intently into her eyes, cupping her cheek.

"In love." She agreed, nodding her head.

"Good." He leaned in and brushed his lips gently against hers. "Now let's go. They must be waiting."

~*~

"Ji, Bhaisaab. That's what I have been telling Abhimanyu since they moved out. To bring Akshara back. It's feels like it's been ages since we saw her. But what can we do? The kids seem to be with their own lives. But he promised me they'll be coming over today. They should be here any —

Akshara and Abhimanyu walked into the Birla house to see Manjiri talking to someone on video call whilst Harshvardhan Birla was busy sitting on the family room sofa, scrolling through his iPad.

"And here they come." Manjiri smiled at Akshara and Abhimanyu as they entered.

"Hello, Uncle." Akshara greeted Harshvardhan shyly.

"Hello, beta. Long time no see! It feels like you always forget about us." Harshvardhan Birla taunted Akshara playfully.

Embarrassed, Akshara exchanged glances with Abhimanyu. "No, Uncle, nothing like that. We —we just got a little busy, that's it."

"We missed you, that's all." Harshvardhan's softened with fatherly affection.

"I missed you too." Akshara replied softly.

Abhimanyu and Akshara turned to walk towards Manjiri. "Sorry we are late, Maa." Abhimanyu apologized.

"One second, Bhaisaab. Let me scold them for the both of us." She put the person on the phone on hold before turning to face Akshara and Abhimanyu.

"Did you forget about us, Akshara beta? Or did you forget your way here? Or do you simply not want to remember us? Do you not miss us?" The ever so dramatic Manjiri Birla was back in action.

"No! Nothing like that Aunty!" Akshara exclaimed, panicking.

"Were you waiting for a special invite? Or were you waiting for Abhimanyu to bring you back home? You have been gone for almost a month and never once did you come back —for even a small visit."

Akshara felt her face pale at Manjiri's accusations. She was on the verge of tears when Abhimanyu spoke.

"Maa! Stop scaring my Akshara! You're going to make her cry." He then turned to Akshara to see her lower waterline was filling up to the brim in tears.

"Are, beta! I was just joking. Here, come here. Give me a hug." Manjiri embraced Akshara, patting her gently on the back. "Why would I ever be angry on you? I was just teasing you, please don't cry." She pleaded, her words carrying no malice.

Akshara sniffled as she pulled back from the embrace. "Sorry, Aunty."

"Are! Don't be sorry! I was just making light of the situation by just pulling your leg. Here, talk to your father. He and I were just talking about how you have never come to visit since the time you left us."