Chapter 43 - Telling the World You're Mine

"Abhimanyu? What are you doing here?"

Abhimanyu turned around from the eggs he was half frying sunny side up to see Kairav standing behind him, looking dazed.

What the hell was Kairav talking about? Abhimanyu swore Kairav had seen Akshara and him together last night. Then why was he acting so shocked?

"Umm...cooking breakfast for Akshara and me. Why? What does it look like I'm doing?" Abhimanyu asked dryly.

"You stayed the night?"

Just then the door to Akshara's room opened and she stepped out wearing Abhimanyu's t-shirt over a pair of shorts which hit right above her knees engulfing her.

She shifted nervously on her toes as she came face to face with her brother. "Morning, bhaiyaa."

"Morning, Akshu." Kairav smiled at her.

Akshara shuffled her feet towards Abhimanyu, seeking his warmth and protection.

"We are about to have breakfast. Do you...umm what some?" Akshara asked, extending a hand of friendship.

Kairav shifted his gaze between Abhimanyu and Akshara before nodding his head. "Yes. You know what, I would love to eat."

Abhimanyu relaxed his stance as he felt Akshara break out into a smile. "How do you like your eggs? Scrambled or sunny side up?"

"Surprise me?"

"And I'll make coffee." Akshara smiled, excitedly.

"Do you need my help?" Kairav asked.

"You can cut up fresh fruit ans toast the bread if you'd like?" Abhimanyu quipped.

"Gotcha." Kairav replied, opening the refrigerator.

~*~

Kairav toyed with his food as they all sat around the kitchen table.

"Bhaiya, what's wrong?"

"I have been doing some thinking."

Abhimanyu looked on, gripping his fork tightly. He swore if Kairav said something stupid he was going to punch him in the face. He was tired of Kairav's flip flop attitude.

"What is it?" Abhimanyu tried to keep calm, but the moment Kairav said something to Akshara, he knew he was going to lose it.

"I was thinking of moving out. I mean getting my own place. My own apartment." Kairav's eyes darted towards Akshara, trying his best to reassure her. "I won't be going far. I'll be in this same building but on a different floor."

"But..."

"Akshu, I have come to terms with your and Abhimanyu's relationship. It'll take me time to adjust to you two being a couple. But I'm trying. But I don't think I can stay in the same apartment. There are some things which...siblings shouldn't know about each other. And it's not just about you two."

Kairav looked at Abhimanyu hoping he would understand. "There is a time when I would want to have a relationship too, have girls over and...and it'll be awkward for me too as awkward as it'll be for you two. So I think it'll be the best choice for us —if we both get separate apartments. But I'll still be here for you. Just a floor below. And if anything, you can ask your friend, Krishika is it? To move in with you." Kairav explained, turning back to look at Akshara.

"Mom and dad?"

"I'll talk to them. But I just wanted to ask you for your opinion first. I'm trying to make this as comfortable for the both of us as I can, Akshu."