24 | masquerade

warning: mentions of SA. contains graphic content about drowning, attempted murder, murder.

READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. if you are not mentally stable for such content, do not read. some of you may feel indifferent and that's perfectly fine, but some may not feel that way and you need to make a personal decision to read or not.

Unknown P.O.V

I waited until my phone showed the location of her as crossing over the border before stepping out of my car into the moonlight.

I was a block away, where the cameras controlled by the French Mafia could not see me, I saw the figure of the woman who I had happened to be seeing often these days.

She walked in the block, and I started walking into the alleyway, making sure she followed. "What am I supposed to bring this time?". I reached into my coat to reveal the brown, paper wrapped package.

"You have to get it to Florence by the Ball." I said as I handed it to her, she squeezed my arm and even underneath the dark night I could see her smile reassuring me. Good people are like that, radiant, hopeful, and against what they know is wrong.

I hope this plan is good enough can get this package to her, just in time.

-

Florence's P.O.V:

The aide helped me scrub off the dried blood on thigh, crying as she took the cloth to my wound.

She told me how she desperately wanted to leave this place, but couldn't. Her daughters owed money to the French Mafia, and were killed. She didn't even get to say goodbye to them, some drunk fighter stole their bodies, we both knew what happened to them.

She sobbed as she told me how is she had the chance, she would take me away from this place.  I didn't respond, but was overwhelmed by the motherly love.

I'm not sure what took over her to tell me about her dead daughters bodies being treated like that after happened. She had good intentions, I suppose.

I underestimated how much trust I shouldn't have put in guards with the knowledge of the creek. I underestimated how much trust I shouldn't have put in a man.

I stayed in the tub after it was drained over the dirty water and after the aide left. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to feel. Was I just supposed to move on, or forget about it?

I reminisced how it all happened the night before; I was in the shallow part of the stream, just starting to wade deeper. I heard a branch snap in the woods, but I convinced myself it was nothing, I went deeper, the water reaching my head. In my mind, I thought there was no one out there, but the childish part in me was frightened. 

I tried stayed calm, I tried to act nonchalant like my heart wasn't beating so fast I swear I could hear it in my ears. I stayed quiet, peering into the treeline, reassuring myself there was no one there. 

That there was no one watching me. At least in my mind, I managed to convince myself there was no one there. My body stopped shaking, as I eased into the water, utterly sure that I was safe. Just as I was about to lift my head higher above the water, a figure emerged from the the shrubs. 

Not one but several, four figures emerged. One holding a phone with the flash on, laughing and searching for someone. For me.

I don't know what occurred to me to do so but I tried to go underwater, I knew I wouldn't last more than 3 minutes. They had already spotted me, two of them already in the water, reaching for me. The other two were standing on the grass, laughing and filming.