5 | run run runaway

I looked out into the hallway and scanned for people. "Is the coast clear?" Jersey asked from behind me. "Yup." I said as we walked out into the hallway. We started to make our way to the backside of the building when we heard footsteps. I rushed to the supply closet and Jersey followed.

"Shut the door, dumbass!" I whisper-screamed at him. He quietly closed it and turned off the lights.

"Your stepping on my foot, you rat." he whispered to me. I tried to move my feet off in the tight space but tripped.

Oh fuck we're going to get caught.

Jersey stuck his arm out right before I almost crashed into a mop, thus saving me from potential mauling.

My hero! I thought sarcastically, laughing to myself again.

The footsteps stopped right in-front of the door, and even though it was too dark to see, I could feel Jersey glaring at me. He put his hand over my mouth and stomped on my foot, and I jabbed him in the ribs. But we both stood still after that and held our breath.

The footsteps walked away and we heard a door close.

I opened the door and we walked out. "You almost got us caught back there, can you not go 5 minutes without laughing?" he looked at me dumbfounded.

Before I could respond, a voice rang out, "You two, aren't you supposed to be in the break room, what are you doing out here?".

I turned to Jersey as he turned to me at the same time. We ran for the door.

-

"Quickly down the steps!" I shouted at him as we made our way to the exit.

We both ran out onto the busy street and kept going for a couple of blocks until we heard a police siren ring. Probably for us.

We kept running and turning down a few lanes but we couldn't overrun a car if they found us. "Wait stop for a minute." I said as I pulled Jersey into a darker empty street.

We both panted for a few minutes out of air before I spoke again. " I'll distract them for you." He looked at me confused. "Why?" he said. "So you can get away, and it's not like I have a need to run away and I left my favorite mascara back at the station." I explained. He nodded and smiled, "You go out onto the main street and I'll just hop over this gate, and run up north, okay?" I nodded, and walked a little closer to the street, planning to run.

I looked back at him, " Wait! What's your name." I shouted at him as he climbed over the gate. "Jersey, I already told you?" I shook my head. "No, I meant your full name." I said. "Oh, Jersey Laurent, what about yours?"

"Florence Gray!" I shouted to him over the sound of the busy streets as I edged further towards the crowd.

He smiled from the other side of the gate, "Well, Florence Gray, I hope we meet again.".

Me too. I thought as the police siren's approach closer and I ran the other way.

-

Theo Bernardi's POV