Wakas

Wakas

Julianna’s birthday was celebrated with a simple dinner we prepared ourselves. It wasn’t much but she seemed to appreciate everything. I was nervous about this because she never mentioned anything about her birthday. I don’t think she expected me to remember, but I did. I always remember. 

I planned it a week before. Kinausap ko ang Daddy niya, ganoon na rin si Rihann at Mamita. I was hesitant to invite her Mom and Grandmother. Ayokong pangunahan siya sa kung kailan niya gustong kausapin ang pamilya. It isn’t easy but I know Julianna. She will always find a way to forgive. It might not be fast this time, but she will forgive. 

“What was that?” bulong ko.

“Secret.”

She giggled and held onto her bag. Kumunot ang noo ko at pilit sinilip ang loob ng bag niya. Mama gave her an envelope. I assume she wrote her a letter. What did she write about? Mahina akong tumawa habang ang iba ay nagpapatuloy sa pagkukuwentuhan. They were still blabbering about the best cake flavor. 

“I’m curious. What did she write to you?”

“It’s a secret, Zach. You can’t read letters that aren’t for you.” 

She laughed again and clutched her bag tighter. Hinawakan ko ang braso niya upang pabirong kunin ang bag ngunit umiling siya. I bit my lower lip and rolled my eyes jokingly. Hinawakan niya ang kamay ko upang alisin sa kaniya. 

“I’m just gonna ask her. I’m so curious about it.” 

“Go and ask her. You’re not getting it from me.”

She teasingly turned away from me and listened to their stories. We stayed there for hours. Kung hindi siya pagod sa pagtatrabaho buong araw ay gusto pa sanang abangan ang pagsikat ng araw sa plantasyon. She was too sleepy for it, and she still has work tomorrow. She needs to rest. 

“Thank you for today, Zach.. You made my night.”

She opened the door of her unit. I can’t help but admire the way she looks tonight. Her eyes were tired but happy, her cheeks were red, she had long straight hair, and it didn’t help that her eyes were amber. It gave me a hard time realizing all over again how beautiful she is. 

She sweetly smiled at me before reaching to kiss me on the cheek. Namuo ang ngiti sa labi ko at nanatili lamang sa labas ng kaniyang unit. She was about to enter when she changed her mind, as she reached again to kiss the same spot. Mahina akong natawa nang tumalikod siya upang tuluyan na ngang pumasok. 

“Isa pa?” hila ko sa kaniyang braso.

She laughed. “Tama na!”

I chuckled and hugged her from behind before kissing her temple. “Good night, Julianna.”

Ako mismo ang nagsarado ng pinto para sa kaniya. My heart was full when I went home. I was tired with all the work and the preparation for her but it was all worth it. Kinabig ko ang manibela habang may ngiti sa labi. A part of me still can’t believe we’re here now. 

Parang noong nakaraan lang ay wala na akong pag-asang magkakaayos pa kami. She was getting married, and I couldn’t find the strength to tell her to leave him. Wala akong lakas ng loob na sabihing ako iyon dapat. I knew it before, and I know it until now. I should be me. I know it should be me. 

“Ayon, oh! Zach!” a classmate called me. “Magpapapicture ka ba?”

I frowned and glanced at him. Inayos ko ang togang suot bago naglakad patungo sa kaniya. I removed my cap and fixed my hair. The graduation just ended. Marami pang tao sa loob ng auditorium dahil sa pagkuha ng litrato.