Kabanata 39

39 - Free

“Julianna?”

I knew exactly where to go after running away. Hindi ako siguradong narito siya, ngunit gusto ko pa ring subukan. I don’t even know if I can step foot on their property. Zachary can’t step foot on ours. Ganoon din ba ang turing nila sa akin? 

Behind the bars of the steel gate was Cassandra Aristizabal. Cold air flew between us. Hinahangin ang kaniyang nakaladlad na buhok habang ang dilaw na bestidang suot ay umaayon din sa ihip ng hangin. Malakas ang kabog ng dibdib ko dahil ito yata ang unang beses na paghaharap namin na walang ibang tao sa paligid. 

Her face was painted with confusion. I'm sure she knows it's my wedding day, and now I'm standing in front of her gate in my bridal gown, looking for her son. Luminga siya sa paligid at lalong lumapit sa gate. She opened it herself for me. Patuloy akong hinihingal dahil sa kaba. 

“Did you just run away from your wedding?”

Hindi ako nakasagot. She looked concerned about me, something my mother would never show Zachary. Nilingon ko si Rihann sa kotse. She just nodded and signaled her hand that I should talk to her. Bumalik ang mga mata ko kay Cassandra. 

“What happened?” she asked again. 

"Is Zachary here?"

Umawang ang kaniyang labi. At this point maybe she finally knows that I really ran away to look for her son. Umiling siya, bakas pa rin sa kaniyang mukha na siya’y naguguluhan. 

“No, he’s not..” aniya. “He’s not here.”

Parang nanghina ang mga tuhod ko.  “Where is he?”

“I have no idea. I would’ve already told you if I knew.”

“O-okay..” sagot ko. “I have to go.”

I turned my back on her and took the trail of my gown. Nang magsimula akong maglakad palayo ay agad akong natigilan. I suddenly remembered Dad, my mother, and her. Mapait akong ngumiti at muli siyang hinarap. She was still standing right there, looking at me intently. 

“I'm not going to be like you, Cassandra Aristizabal.." I said. "I am not letting go of my greatest love."

She stood still, but her lovely lips were stretched into a smile. My teeth were clenched as I made an effort to smile in return. I wasn't trying to hurt her feelings. I only said that to let her know I was going after her son. I'm finally here for her son.

"I have found a great love and a true love in two different people.." she answered. "You're lucky you found yours in one."

She chuckled and shook her head. Tila ba inaalala niya ang mga naganap noon. There was a hint of sadness, but her delight prevailed. Para bang sigurado siyang tama ang desisyong ginawa noon at nagdiriwang ang puso para sa amin ngayon. 

"Because if you did find both in two different men, choosing one will be the hardest decision you will ever make.. Because you will have to let go of the other."

A part of me was hurting because of it, but it’s one of the reasons why we’re here now. Zachary and I will never be if Dad and Cassandra ended up together. We wouldn’t even be in this world. He and I would not have ever met. I'd never get the chance to fall in love with him.

"You will have to burn one bridge and cross the other." I murmured. 

"Love isn't right all the time. It can't be right all the time. That's what makes it crazy..” she proudly nodded at me. “Now, go. Run and don’t let go of the love of your life.”

Huminga ako nang malalim at tinalikuran siya. I ran back to Rihann’s car and went to the back seat. My gown will never fit in front. Malakas na tumawa si Rihann na hindi pa rin nalilimutan ang nangyari kanina.