Kabanata 1

01 – Decide

The cosmos extends a vast ninety-three billion light years from start to finish, possessing infinite magnitude. Matter within the cosmos can only organize in a limited number of unique configurations before duplicating itself in identical patterns. Over the thirteen point seven billion years since the big bang, the cosmos has expanded only as far as the reach of light. Beyond this spacetime lies a realm that can be regarded as its own universe.

Parallel universe.

As more people are born, time and space need to expand a lot for new worlds to be created and cover all possible outcomes. It's interesting to think about – does this mean that the universe is expanding so rapidly because awareness is pushing it forward?

I smiled with the thought. They say all outcomes do occur, there is only one possibility of you in this world. The instant you make a decision, all of the other options separate from you. Everything hinges on your choice. In this cosmos, everything about you is yours. And the choices you did not make might happen in some world.

I am not perfect. In this world that I live in, I have too many questions and what ifs. Every night, I submerge into the realm of thoughts, wondering whether or not I made the right choice. And if I ever didn't, I hope that the other me in the other world does it and be happy with it. I hope she doesn't repeat my mistakes, and I doubt it because the theory of the parallel universe states that all the other possibilities separate from me as soon as I make a decision.

That is exactly what I did. I made a choice. Two years ago, I had to make a difficult decision.

"I mean, it wouldn't be bad! I want the grandest wedding gown for Julie!"

Lola nodded while looking at the magazines scattered on the table in the middle. Dad was staring down on it with his arms crossed on his chest, brows furrowed, and looking back and forth from me to my mom.

"Julianna doesn't like grand, Juliette. She should be comfortable." he said.

"Being comfortable is the least priority, Apollo. It's her wedding day. Might as well prepare grand! Isang araw lang naman ang itatagal. Julie can adjust.." she glanced at me. "Right, dear?"

I forced a smile. "Guess so.."

"See? She can handle it."

Mommy giggled and continued choosing from different styles of gowns in the same color. I was just watching them choose for me, I wasn't even asked about my opinion about it. Dad glanced at me before sitting down on the sofa beside me.

"What style of wedding gown do you want, anak?"

"We'll decide with that." I replied.

"You alone should decide. It's your gown. Don't mind your mother."

I nodded lightly, not wanting my mother to be upset with what he said. He caressed my back and pinned my hair behind my ear. Ngumiti ako at bumuntong-hininga bago ibinalik ang tingin sa mga magazines.

"I need suggestions, dad."

"But don't let them decide for you. Decide for yourself, Julie."

He let me go and picked up a magazine to choose his suit. Luminga ang mga mata ko sa paligid. Some of our maids were around to wait for an order. Samantalang sina mommy at lola ay abala sa pagpili ng aking wedding gown.

I bit my lower lip and looked down to my ring finger. Isang maliit na ngiti ang namuo sa aking labi nang makita ang diamante kong singsing. Theo gave this to me as an engagement ring. Tahimik akong nakinig sa kanilang pag-uusap at sinilip ang tinitignan ni dad.