Kabanata 3

03 – Avoid

"Come on, Julie!" she shouted. "Party, party! Woohoo!"  

Rihann pulled my arm inside our classmate's house. The sound of the party music was booming as everyone else danced like it's the last day of their lives. I covered my eyes partly because of the lights. I just got here and Rihann went before me.  

"I'm not fond of parties. I want to be home and sleep, or read books.. or play my piano."  

"Can we stop this? We just graduated high school! We should party and drink 'til we're throwing up! We survived six years of hell!"  

"And another four years is on the way. There's no reason to celebrate."  

I groaned and took a quick look around. Some of my classmates are drinking and holding their own glasses, which I observe. Some were shooting ping pong balls into a cup on the table. Others remained quiet as they observed the others. 

Parties and liquor were never my thing. When I'm not at school, I'm more of an indoor girl who enjoys reading books and playing the piano. I don't enjoy going out late at night. Aside from our prom night, this was my first time attending a party. I guess I don't have much of a choice but to celebrate graduation night. 

"Erm. Killjoy! Kaya nga dapat ay sulitin na natin ang party na ito! We have to arrange multiple trips before we go to Manila for college."  

Umiling ako. "Just this night, okay? I'm giving you this."  

"Thank you so much, Julie. Appreciated.." she answered and faced the crowd. "Woohoo!"  

Rihann pulled me to the bar stool and left to call her other friends to meet me. Inayos ko ang aking off-shoulder dress at nanahimik sa stool. The whole first floor of the huge house was filled with music and loud voices. Hinawi ko ang buhok ko at yumuko. Rihann is taking too long.  

I stood up and decided to go to the powder room for a minute. Mula ro'n ay rinig pa rin ang ingay mula sa labas. I faced the mirror and stared at my face. My long brown straight hair reached my underboob and was an enough cover for my exposed shoulder. Sinuklay ko ang buhok ko gamit ang mga daliri ko at sandaling iniangat ang tela sa aking balikat. My bangs were well-scattered, so it didn't appear odd. My face was matched by my round amber eyes. I bit my lower lip and decided to stop wearing lipstick. My rosy-pale skin drew attention to my lips. 

I inhaled deeply and opened the door to go out. Hindi ko napigilan ang mahiya sa iilang mga tumitingin sa aking lalaki. One of them even approached me.  

"No.. Sorry.." I apologized. "I have a boyfriend."  

He immediately backs off as I walk past him. Nang makabalik sa stool ay wala pa rin si Rihann. I frowned and looked around. A guy from another section approached and sat beside me. He pointed to the dance floor and asked.  

"You wanna dance?"  

"I'm waiting for my boyfriend, I'm sorry."  

Tumango lamang siya at naglakad palayo. I deeply breathed and bit my lower lip again. Rihann is taking so long. Gaano ba karami ang kaibigang ipakikilala niya sa akin?  

My hair slid away from my shoulder so I made sure to put it back on its place. I awkwardly looked around to make sure no one was watching me. I feel anxious now that I'm around people.  

I stopped when I noticed a man lounging against the wall, a glass of drink in his hand. A black shirt was worn underneath his dark-colored leather jacket, which was matched with dark-colored pants. He sipped his beverage while his gaze lingered on mine. Matapos iyon ay naglakad siya patungo sa akin.