twenty-four

It was silent between them as they sat on the bench that is under the big tree at the hospital garden

It was silent between them as they sat on the bench that is under the big tree at the hospital garden. The tension between them was indescribable. It fills the air with confusion, sadness, and denial.

"I don't want to get mad at you."

"But can you please explain to me please?"

He asked, slowly turning to the woman beside him, who stared at nothing but too stunt with herself, making it hard to talk.

"Love.. please."

"-im sick, is that what you want to hear?" she said, turning to face him.

"Then why didn't you tell me? and why did you lie?"

"I was going to tell you on the right time, Jake. I didn't expect you to come here after telling me you're busy."

"You lie to me by saying you're busy too, Aein."

"I'm sorry that I lie, Jake. I was trying to tell you about the right time–

"What kind of sickness is this then. Is it cure-able or something else?" Jake asked, as his feelings that worried a lot for her were right.

It was tight on Aein's throat, making it hard to tell him, but in the end, she did anyways. "It was cancer, and it can't be cured."

Jake looks away from her to only silently crying. Aein can't help to have her heart aches and broke seeing him like this.

"Is that w-why you covered your head with the beanie...?meaning that you shaved your hair already??" Even when it feels heavy for him, he was still a bit confused and worried that he needed to know.

Aein nodded at his statement.

"It's getting bad?" Even when Aein lies to him, he can't find a reason to be mad at the woman he genuinely loves.

And again, Aein nodded as an answer to him.

"I'm sorry, Jake.. I didn't expect this to happened and i–

Jake holds her hand and caresses it with his thumb. "Shush, it's okay. Let's not talk about it anymore." He said and smiled warmly at her.

Yet sadness was visible on his face.

"Have you thought about the theme for our marriage?" He asked, and with that, Aein heart falls.

"Jake.."

"You want big party or small? Pink theme or purple or both?"

Aein can't help to finally cries in front of him, having his eyes locked on hers and fingers interlocked. The tears that fall down her cheeks this time really broke her heart deeply inside.

"Jake.. i–

"Where would you like to hold it? I prefer the beach."

"Jake, I don't think this could work–

"What flavour of cake do you want? chocolate or cheese??" He ignored her and insisted on talking about the wedding instead.

"Jake, love, please let me talk–

"You want to cancel the wedding, is that it?" He asked bluntly as if it didn't just break him.

He sighed as Aein fell into silent, only tears that kept on falling.

"You can't push me away like that, love. I want to marry you and make you the love of my life, my wife, my forevermore. I've made my decision, and you can't easily change my mind. I was the one who wanted you and asked for this.

Just because you're sick doesn't mean we have to cancel everything. I want you to be with me, especially to be my wife. I don't want your sickness to be the border between us,

You feel guilty. I understand that. You feel that I deserve someone else better. You feel like you have to let me go to find somebody who could stay with me. You feel this and that. Yes, I understand how you're feeling.

But what about me, Aein? why don't you think about my feelings? you can always feel that, but that won't ever change my mind. I chose you over anyone else.

Nam Aein, I love you. I genuinely love you. I love you so much that I won't let you go easily. You can say anything to cancel this marriage and all, but I won't let that happen. Ever.

I won't let you push me away just because you're sick. Please stay with me, no matter what.

I don't want anyone else.

I just want to be with you, Nam Aein. "

He exclaimed with tears.

They both were in tears mess.

Aein did want to cancel the marriage, but Jake wouldn't let her finish her word that he gets it right away. She wasn't expecting him to say this to her,

mostly to hear his sudden confession.

On how the eight letters slipped out of his lips so easily and purely.

"I'm sorry, Jake. We can't." She stands up and walks away.

Leaving him before he could utter anything.

He was stoned on his seat, watching the woman he love walks away just like that, breaking his heart on every step she took as she gets far and further.

Make him wonder whether everything he said that coming purely from his heart meant nothing to her.

She just left him there, crying.

As if it didn't break her as well.