She shook her head, her lips pulled tight as she silenced the rest of my words. "It has been tried on human mates before...hundreds of years ago when the goddess blessed such unions..." Turning away, she glanced up toward the night sky, a tired sigh escaping her lips. I didn't have to be a genius to work out the fate of those poor souls.

"They died?"

Aurora shook her head again. "Worse... they simply... shutdown. Neither alive nor dead. Turned into hollow shells that could neither speak, move, react or even think for themselves..."

A heavy silence descended between us as my mind stilled long enough to process everything she had said. Each piece of information had raised more questions than answers and each answer had utterly shattered the last bit of resistance I had within. It was time to throw in the towel and allow things to fall where they may, rather than fight it. For God knows, I have nothing left to fight for anyway.

I stood up slowly, my mind weary with grief and defeat but strangely, at ease. I knew what I had to do and who I needed to find.

"Thank you for everything you have shared. I must go now."

But just as I moved, Aurora stood, blocking my path while simultaneously grabbing hold of my hand. "What are you going to do Mia?"

My eyes travelled down to her hand which was firmly locked around my wrist before looking back up at her concerned face.

"I must find Thomas."

"What for?"

I looked away from her and towards the packhouse, my eyes intent on the door through which I had come.

"I have to tell him the truth."

"You mean, about you and the Gamma?"

"About everything."

I felt her grip release, before she moved back to her seat and casually sat back down, her eyes watching me carefully.

"And what are you hoping to achieve by doing that?"

I turned to fully face her, my confusion increasing as I tried to gauge where she was coming from.

"I-I don't understand..."

Leaning forward, she rested her chin on the palm of her hand. "You wish to tell your mate the truth which I'm assuming has largely to do with the guilt that you're carrying around. So, I'll ask again- what are you hoping to achieve?"

My mind scrambled for an answer as I tried to evaluate my feelings against my plan of action but Aurora it seemed had it all worked out.

"Were you hoping that your mate would forgive you and things would go back to what they once were? Or were you hoping that he would get all possessive and go "wolf" on the Gamma and finally mark you? Or is this just an opportunity to unburden that guilt so you can sleep better at night?"

I looked at her, my mouth open in disbelief. "What?! No, that's not-"

She smiled. "Don't worry, I think I understand you better than you do yourself."

Indignation turned to confusion once again as I watched her stand gracefully and come closer. "While you may not yet realise or wish to admit the real reason, I do..."

Standing inches from me, her feminine scent blew in my direction, tickling my nostrils. "...it's because somewhere deep inside you hope that he would be repulsed by your actions. That he would want nothing to do with you...."

Her hands reached out, grasping both my wrists tightly. "...and that you will finally get what you have always wanted in this place..."

Pulling me closer, she leaned in to whisper in my ear. "...your freedom... from your mate... or should I say... all your mates"