Chapter 35 : Por que la belleza sobra

Start from the beginning

"It's not something I usually bring up during board meetings, Gigi," I say wryly.

"What a shame. It would definitely make them more interesting."

"I would be honored to attend, thank you," Adan says.

Kate turns to me and smiles. I smile back, although I'm not exactly happy about Gigi and Adan being at the wedding. Which is, admittedly, ridiculous. Gigi would be invited because every member of the board of directors would get an invitation. In fact, they'd be expected to be there. Adan being invited too isn't such a stretch, I just didn't like the way he's looking at Kate. "Excellent," I say, keeping the irritation out of my tone.

As the servers poured our drinks and waited for us to study the menu, Adan and Kate keep up their conversation.

"I've been considering government advocacy," Kate says. "So many problems are structural, I think. As much as donations help during a crisis, it's important that regulations and laws are in place to protect the vulnerable and marginalized."

"I couldn't agree more," Adan says, nodding. "Look, I know it's rather short notice, but I wonder if you'd like to come with me to meet with the foundation tomorrow." At her surprised expression, he adds, "It would help you get a feel of charity work if that's what you'd like to do."

"Won't they mind?"

"Meeting a respected member of the Marin family?" He scoffs. "They'll thank me for introducing you."

"Oh. In that case, I would love to go."

"Are you sure about that, mi amor?" I say, cutting in again. "Perhaps we could wait until after the wedding."

"Oh, it's just a meeting," Adan says. "No work at all."

"I'll be fine," she says. "My next appointment is with the wedding dress designer, and that won't be until next week."

"I see," I say.

"That's settled then." Adan looks pleased. He glances down at the menu. "So, what do you recommend, Kate?"

Later, as we are enjoying the main course, I leaned over to Kate, keeping my voice low as I spoke. "I assumed you'd be putting off work until after the baby is born," I say.

"Why would you assume that?" she says, her eyebrows raised. "Are you putting off work until after the baby is born?"

I blink. What the hell did I say that for? "I'm sorry. I don't know why..." I shake my head. "Of course, you can do anything you want."

"I'm not pregnant yet, Raul. When I am, I'll decide what to do about work."

I take her hand in both of mine. "I'm sorry, cariño. I didn't mean to be such a sexist pig about this." I kiss her palm. "Will you forgive me?"

She rolls her eyes. "Yes."

"Did you mean it when you asked me if I'd put off work until after the baby is born?" I give her a lazy grin.

"No, but I'm thinking about it." She narrows her eyes. "You're taking paternity leave, right?"

I honestly haven't thought about it. "Of course."

She smiles. "You'll come to prenatal classes?"

Prenatal classes. I have no idea what that is. "Try and stop me," I say with conviction.

"Did you just say prenatal classes?" Maricar says in a whisper. She's seated beside me, across from Kate. Her gaze goes from her sister then to me.

"Shhh," Kate says.