Chapter 116-120

Chapter 116 – Irritated

The next day, older sister Xu came over and brought a jar of salted plums she had pickled herself for Su Danhong.

It was important that she came to tell her that her child could be born without any worries. Now that she had the orchard, there would be no problems with the hukou1 in the future if the fine was paid.

As soon as she heard what she said, Su Danhong understood that there was no need to say any more. They both had a silent understanding of the situation and it would be meaningless to say too much.

Su Danhong was someone who sister Xu wanted to be friends with. On top of that, she was pretty, really elegant, and fortunate. Aside from those who didn't know better, no one in the village would give her any problems.

Since Su Danhong's family had such a large orchard, who would want to have a bad relationship with her?

She was not arrogant like how she was before. As for how she is now, sister Xu did not see the slightest vanity and pretentiousness. She secretly approved of it.

Su Danhong liked salted plums a lot and had put them away. When sister Xu went back, Su Danhong gave her a few jin of dried chestnuts and asked her to take it back as a snack for the children.

Sister Xu accepted it.

The matter of having a baby was thus settled.

A month passed in the blink of an eye.

The persimmons on the mountain were ripe, and recently many birds on the mountain had gone to peck at them. Therefore, Ji Jianyun planned on picking them earlier.

Persimmons were common there. Some people would plant persimmons in the front yard and backyard.

But they did not have as many persimmon trees as his orchard that bore so much fruit.

One tree was full of fruit, which was a lot.

Father Ji had finished all the netting recently and was waiting for these persimmons to be picked.

The farmers were already done with the autumn harvest. The grains had been collected, and everyone in the village was idle.

Thus, Ji Jianyun began to recruit short-term workers again.

The duration of the work was short because there were only a dozen persimmon trees to be picked. Although the trees were full of fruit, there were still only a dozen persimmon trees.

They would hire a few more people and give them lunch. It was probably going to be finished in a few days.

They couldn't do anything else about it. The persimmons could not be delayed.

The workers from last time were invited to work, from Ji Jianyun and Su Danhong's relatives to short-time workers in the village. This time, they hired two more elderly sisters who had a relationship with Mother Ji.

They were all nimble workers. Although Ji Jianyun was careful about the budget, they also needed more workers. The elderly sisters were not very well off. Mother Ji came to talk to Ji Jianyun about it. After she got his confirmation, she let the two elderly women come.

At this point, Mother Ji knew the boundaries, so she wouldn't decide who to bring herself. Even if she did want to bring someone to work, it had to be allowed by her son. After all, her son was the boss of the orchard, and he was the one who paid the wages, wasn't he?

Everyone worked hard in the orchard for three days. They handled the persimmons very efficiently and put them on the netted racks to dry.

Ji Jianyun was not stingy since they were so efficient. As soon as they finished the work, he handed out the money on the spot. Each of them also carried two jin of persimmons back for their families to try. During the three days of work, they also had a very good lunch. The money was not much, but it was 1.5 yuan or 50 cents a day. It was enough for them to be happy.