-(87) you never deserved it

ZILLIAH walks with Layla, a little behind Theo and Blaise who leads the way. The paths they had to take would split into two only after two miles, so for now she and Theo had the company of Blaise and Layla. The pine and maple trees to the side crowd upon the narrow pathway, providing them much shelter from the sun's burning heat. She walks, enjoying the crunch of the dry leaves beneath her feet despite how her head and her body ache with the slightest movement. Her mind remains on Draco wondering if he was alright until it gets diverted.

"So", Layla's voice is hollow and awkward as it comes out, leaving the word hanging in the air uncomfortably.

Zilliah tilts her head to her companion, arching an eyebrow as she makes sure to not trip over a branch on the ground.

"I've been meaning to ask you something", Layla says, her eyes focused up front, her hands jittery.

As Zilliah realizes she is waiting for her approval, she nods, very well aware that she can see her in her peripheral vision.

"Theseus was your fiancé in your past life?", asks Layla, releasing a gasp of breath like she has been dying to get that question out.

Zilliah had seen this coming. She knew it was only a matter of time before she was asked this. "Ezra was, yes", she replies.

Layla inhales a sharp breath and nods her head. "Do you think that's why.. you know, Theseus was- he was in love with you in this lifetime too?"

"I suppose so", Zilliah shrugs. "Though I only replicated the person, not the feelings."

Layla nods and remains silent for a long long while. It's the kind of silence that threatens your peace. The kind of silence forcibly held when there are so many things to say. And with the growing irritability in her, Zilliah can handle it no more.

"You still love him?", she throws the question at Layla, taking her by shock.

She recollects herself in a moment and sighs. "I think a part of me will always love him. But I know I can never have him. Not when his heart is full of you."

"Have you ever told him about how you feel?"

Layla tilts her head and meets Zilliah's eyes with a dejected expression. "If he couldn't see what was in plain sight, then I don't think my words would make much of a difference. I'd only be making a fool out of myself."

And that's true. It wasn't like Layla hid how much she loved Theseus. Her love for him overflowed in every look, every word, and every action. He just pretended to be blind to all of it. Now not even Jesus could cure that kind of blindness.

"I'm sorry, you know", Layla says, taking Zilliah by shock this time. "I couldn't hate Theseus for not loving me. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't. But then you showed up and it was easy.. to hate you, I mean. I could finally project the spite I felt toward someone. I treated you poorly because of it. But I realize now that you never deserved it."

Zilliah just stares at her blankly, never having expected this sort of openness. 

"You don't have to accept my apology", she says, stopping in her step and looking at her feet, like she can't bring herself to meet her eyes again. "Just.. just know that I'm sorry."

Zilliah stops in her steps too and does something she thought she would never find herself doing. She hugs Layla, tightly, so tightly it might just reduce her bones to dust. But she didn't care. Neither did Layla. They stood like that for a solid minute, until they realized that the boys had walked far off without them. They pulled back and smiled at each other, and it was peace like Zilliah had never known.