-(2) he saw the light of a thousand stars

DRACO watches the new girl with dark hair and a chiseled face, as she walks over to the Slytherin table. He notices how she hangs her head low and how she tugs at the elastic band on her wrist. He notices the bounce in her steps every now and then. He notices every minute thing he could possibly notice about her even though he doesn't intend to.

"She's hot, isn't she?", Blaise comments, making him tilt his head back to his friend.

"Shut up, Blaise", Draco snaps, annoyance sprouting in him for some reason he doesn't understand.

"What? She is hot", Blaise retorts.

"Yeah, she is", adds Theo and Pansy together staring at her dreamily.

"Not really..", Draco remarks with a low huff, looking at her once more before dropping his gaze to the table.

"Tasteless prat", Blaise mumbles out before waving at the girl. "Hey, Emerson! Over here!"

She catches his invitation and silently walks over to them, her head hanging low, her features betraying the confidence in her strides.

"Sit", Pansy mumbles making space for her between herself and Theo with a welcoming smile on her face.

The girl, Zilliah, nods and takes her place as Dumbledore gets up to make his speech. "Goodevening children", he addresses them and Draco groans internally at the sweetness in his tone. He had always hated that biased old motherfucker.

"Psst..", Blaise mumbles out towards Zilliah who was diagonally opposite to him. She was seated right in front of Draco but neither of them looked at the other. "Where did you transfer from?"

"Beauxbatons", she replies, her voice coming out rather hoarse. She is definitely one of those insecure little bitches, he remarks to himself with an eye roll that no one seems to catch.

"Why?", Blaise presses on.

"None of your damn business."

Or not.

"Ooooh, she feisty", Blaise declares in an amused tone as Pansy and Theo chuckle under their breaths. Draco doesn't react, with much pain too that is.

"Now, we have two changings in staffing this year", Dumbledore continues at the front but Draco has no interest in his ramble.

"Who's that old toad?", Theo inquires inclining his head towards where an old, bratty looking woman with an over-fake smile sat among the staff in all pink.

"Dolores Umbridge", Draco replies. "Senior Undersecretary to Fudge."

"How'd you know?", asks Pansy, her eyes curious as she takes in the lady.

"Heard Lucius talking."

The three of his friends turn their undivided attention upon the dias but Zilliah lifts her head and fixes her gaze upon Draco. He could see it in his peripheral vision but he chooses to ignore it at first as he too turns his eyes towards the old man up front, never really listening. However, even after a concerning amount of time, when she refuses to take her eyes off of him- Merlin knows why- he snaps his head at her.

Their eyes meet- pearl piercing into hazel. And in her eyes, he saw the light of a thousand stars.

"What do you think you're doing?', Draco asks her after a moment, finding his voice.

What did he just fucking feel?

She quickly blinks and fetches her gaze away from him, her cheeks reddening, "Nothing", she mumbles in a soft tone, clearly ashamed to have been caught in the act.