Chapter Fourteen

. . .  Meanwhile with the others. . . .

As Steve stands alone in the isle, still dressed in black after the funeral, Natasha walks over to him and he turns to talk to her as she stands opposite.  "When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her." 
"You talking about Peggy or Y/N?" She gives him a look. 
"Who else signed?" Steve sighs, moving past the question. 
"Tony. Rhodey. Vision." 
"Clint?" Steve asks. 
"Says he might retire and stay at home finally." She smiles slightly.
"Anyone realise Y/N and Bucky are missing yet?" 
"Its starting to become apparent." She looks at him concerned. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." She adds hopefully at the end but Steve just  sighs and bows his head. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." 
"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve looks at her, shaking his head unconvinced and sensing she is too but is forcing herself that this is the right choice. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it." 
"I know."
"Then what are you doing here?" He looks at her with a curiosity.  
"Well, with Y/N gone, I didn't want you to be alone." She pulls him in for a hug.  "Come here." 
. . . . . Vienna. . . . ."I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight." T'Challa walks towards Natasha. 
"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering." She jests back. 
"You seem to be doing alright so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill . . . I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company." 
"Well, I'm not." She says bluntly. 
"That alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Romanoff." 

"Why? You don't approve of all this?" She looks at T'Challa oddly "there were a lot of Wakanda's in Sovkovia at the time. I'm sorry." 
"Thank you." He nods "I approve of the Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred." He adds softly. 
"Unless you need to move a piano." King T'Chaka walks over, and joins them. 
"Father." 
"Son. Miss Romanoff." He greets them both. 
"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologise for what happened to those involved in stealing from Wakanda, and those involved in trying to retreive what was stolen. . . " Natasha rounded off as King T'Chaka smiles gently. 
"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers and Miss Storm will not be joining us today." 
"Yes, so am I." She adds before an annulment on the speakers comes echoing though. 
"If everyone could please be seated. This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure." T'Challa says as Natasha thanks him, leaving the two alone.

"For a man who disapproves of diplomacy, you're getting quite good at it." His father smiles. 

"I'm happy, Father."

"Thank you, Thank you."King T'Chaka takes to the podium "When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Sokovia, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative." He continues to talk, unawares of his son noticing something outside the window behind him. 

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" T'Challa sounds loudly moments before an enormous explosion goes off between two buildings and destroys the conference hall. T'Challa finds his father lying on the floor with his eyes closed. He grabs his father's wrist and feels for a pulse, but his father lies still. Devastated T'Challa lies across his father. He lifts him up and rocks him in his arms.