Chapter Four

"We looked for you after." You say to Steve, holding Bucky's hand. 

"My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery." Bucky adds, as you all walk to Steve's apartment. 

"I know, I'm sorry. I just...kind of wanted to be alone." Steve walks on in front. 

"How was it?"

"It was okay. She's next to Dad." Your heart breaks for Steve. 

"I was gonna ask . . " 

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck, I just . . ."

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash." He adds a little jest to the end. Bucky was living in a small place, you were both trying to save money, the roaring twenties having come to and end and both of you still being so young. Plus  you still lived at home, your parents both elderly would have a great attack if they knew you'd spent time alone with Bucky before you were married. You'd only been dating a short while, but you both new that what was going to happen. You watch Steve try to find his keys, Bucky almost second naturally kicks a brick aside, letting go of your hand momentarily to pick it up and give it to Steve. "Come on." 

"Thank you, Buck, but I can get by on my own." You hear Bucky's sigh. 

"The thing is, you don't have to." Bucky gives Steve a friendly pat on the shoulder with his free hand. "I'm with you to the end of the line, pal."

Steve's flashback ends abruptly as Sam and yourself join him on the bridge, Steve looks round at you both. 

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam says it, you were all thinking it. 

"I know." Steve replies stoically. 

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop."

"No. . . no I'm not. . .I won't." You look between them. 

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you." Sam looks at you with deep concern. "Either of you."

"He will." You look at Steve, his determination on his face back "Gear up, it's time." Steve turns to walk away.  You suddenly feel hopeful, there was something magical about Steve that could get you feeling like you could win no matter what. 

"You gonna wear that?" You shout, allowing yourself to smile. 

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform." He winks at you, you beam.

"I can't believe you're marrying Captain America." Sam looks at you. 

"Me neither" You say softly, heading towards the others.

 . . . .

After using your invisibility and pojecting it to the others, to get them inside, you kick down the door, a  Tech  guy getin the shock of his life as you all re-appear, and he's faced with you, Sam and Maria. Sam and Maria pointing guns at him. 

"Excuse us." Steve says. The tech holds his hands up and you follow Steve through. 

"Here" You link up the mic for Steve. "Do your thing" you kiss his cheek he looks at you with a warm glowing affection before beginning this speech, the mic linking to every room in the building. His voice echos through the corridors. 

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."