Chapter Two

You watch the end of PTSD group meeting that Steve had taken you too, you watch and listen to the man you'd seem him talking to before.

"The thing is I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week, he thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED." You're heart reacher for the female war veteran you can hear talking. 

"Some stuff you leave there, other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." They carry on talking a while longer before ending the session. Saying goodbye before he walks over to you two. 

"Look who it is. The running man." Sam greets Steve "and you must be the Scarlet Storm?" 

"Just call me Y/N" you smile shaking his hand. 

"Sam, Sam Wilson.

"Nice to meet you Sam. . .we caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense."

"Yeah, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret."

"You lose someone?" Sam is impressed on the speed you pick up on his inner thoughts. 

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission.Standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry." You place and hand on Sams's arm he taps it in gratitude before you let go. 

"After that, I had really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

"I think I do." You say gently. 

"But you're happy now, back in the world?" Steve asks, quickly interjecting into the conversation, feeling uneasy about the direction it was going.

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?" Sam makes a joke then looks at Steve who ponders, a slight confused laugh. 

"No. I don't know." He says "To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did."

"Ultimate fighting?" You jest causing them both to laugh. 

"But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?" Sam asks him. 

"I don't know. . ."

"Word on the street is you have a wedding to plan?" Sam looks between you both. 

"Thats not a job Sam" you shake your head, and blimey, is nothing in our life a secret?" You jest but there is a sense of hating that you have no more privacy. 

"Well, think about it, envision what makes you happy and it'll come, both of you" Sam smiles. 

"I like you" You say to him. 

"I'll see you at the next session then?" You check your phone, an alert of movement in the flat, you show Steve. 

"Don't push your luck Wilson" you wink "we have to go, but I hope to see you again soon." You wave him off as you head towards the doors. "Talking of no privacy, I swear if its the flirty nurse stealing your underwear or something, I will kill her." Steve shakes his head, not believing you but you could, you thought, it would be far too easy. 

. . . . .

You and Steve frown at each other, cautiously entering the flat, the sound of music playing , the door busted in. You place your hands up in protection as Steve grabs his shield. You appear round the corner to find Nick Fury looking a mess sat in the dark.