Chapter Eleven

**Catching ourselves back up to just after chapter 4 for reference **

"It won't be long before the 'invisible thief storyline gets picked up state wide." You walk into the abandoned cabin, a bag of clothes for each of you to put in your backpacks. "A few more Henley's" you say gently as you walk into the kitchen, Bucky finishing fixing the leaky tap. 

"Thanks" his voice is deeper, darker, more monotone than it was before but you'd gotten used to it, the lack of words he used, the coldness around you. 

"We'll have to start thinking out of country." You walk over to one of the kitchen cupboards open it, ripping away some flaky wall you take out two rucksacks, and begin putting the clothes and a few other necessities in them. 

"Still with the 'we'" Bucky dusts himself off, checking the tap. Happy he turns to look at you. "You don't need to be here." 

"Well I am, so." you take out a plum from one of the bags. "Helps with memory" you say as he takes it from you. 

"I've been working on my powers. .  the ones that lets me create visions. . . I might be able to start taking those words out your head." You say as you place two guns in the back packs and zip them up.

"And what happens if it flip back and kill you?" His face is serious. 

"You won't" He shakes his head. 

"You're using HYDRA's powers, to take out HYDRA's words from my head and you don't think there's a risk of the Winter Soldier activating and you ending up dead?" You turn round to him. 

"I'm using my powers to help you, Bucky Barnes, it might take a while, it might only be one word at a time. . . hell it might not even work" you shrug "but you're going to have to stop being so angry at me and let me help you." There was silence. 

"I'm not angry at you" he looks away then back at you, his eyes lock with yours, and it's like your heart is on fire. "But I'm not adding your name is added to the long list of people I've murdered."

"Please don't say that. . " you walk over to him, he was older but not by much than when you'd last seen him though decades were in his eyes, his face was still soft beneath the stubble, his hair long framing his face. Even with your dosage of the serum, Bucky towered over you, he was beefy too you'd noticed, like he could engulf you in a hug and you'd disappear but so strong he could crush you to death with the same arms. Especially that metallic one he tried to hide from you as much as he could. "HYDRA murdered them, not you." Bucky just grunts. "Will you let me try?" It takes a while before he nods. You both head out to the small clearing behind the cabin. 

"If I switch, go." He warns before you both sit down. 

"I need you to think of the words, well at least the first one." Reluctantly, Bucky things of the first word that snaps him into the winter soldier. 'Longing' . You take a deep medative breath as you slowly close your eyes and, with your hands on your knees, open, the energy, or magic as Bucky had named it, starts to flow from your hand around his head. You concentrate hard on reversing your ability to project, to allow yourself to fully enter. You zone out Bucky's muttered words that its not working and keep concentrating before your eyes open alive with a scarlet flare like the magic in your hands, you hear your name before you find yourself in a flash of white a protection of you inside Bucky's mind. 

Its dark as you walk around you hear the word longing being whispered, but you can work out where its coming from. "Y/N?" a lightness appears behind you as you see Bucky walking towards you. "What in the hell?" 

"I'm. . ." but you're interrupted by what appears to be a large drive in cinema appearing in the back of the room, memories flashing across the screen, Bucky's memories. They're beautiful at first, childhood, Steve and then you, you smile watching. . . a tear forming as you it flicks toward the war, his rescue. 

"Please stop watching. . ." but you're too absorbed as you watch from the train, the fall, you begin to feel the pain as he's dragged by Zola from the snow, "Y/N" the Bucky inside his head can see it happening the arm, the abuse, the mind control the pain he's put through the memory wipes. . . you keel. 

"Oh god, James, I'm so sorry." He runs to you. 

"Lets stop this its not. . ." but then you feel it, like the world was drained of warmth, the memories go, the last one of him seeing you follow him after making sure Steve was ok. You both stand, the whispering of the word 'Longing' coming back and out of the shadows of his mind, came the winter solider, as you'd seen him before you'd know who it was. "Look I told you this was a bad idea stop it, wake up!!" He yells but you shake your head. 

"He's not real Bucky, he's representing the word." It gets louder the closer the Winter Soldier gets to you, you ready yourself. 

"Y/N" 

"Желание" You take no time in blocking a shot from the solider inside his head, blocking his shots you eventually get close enough to drop kick his gun from his hand, he uses this to grab you spinning you from behind putting a knife to your neck. 

"Shit Y/N . . ." But Bucky can't move, he realises you blocking him from interfering. He start to shout but you manage to use your powers to cause the solider to crumble in pain, you stand above him as he withers around on the floor. 

"Give it to me" you say, repeating it in Russian. He refuses so you inflict more pain until a word is produced, 'longing' in the form of a briefcase. He throws it towards you and you dissolve it before it hits the ground, you turn round to face Bucky as the Soldier dissolves behind you. "See. . . it's all. . ." 

"Y/N!!" You suddenly feel a knife in your top left shoulder, you spin round, the Winter Soldier disappears arm outstretch. "You need to get out my head now!" You look up at Bucky and then in a flash find yourself back outside. As you come around, dropping your magic you find yourself in pain. Bucky stand, marching over to you as you collapse.

"It worked. . ." you breathe out. 

"At what cost Y/N" He grunts, pulling down, ripping open your shirt to see your shoulder. "Its a surface wound. . ." he says in disbelief. "This stops. . ." he rips an his own shirt to bandage you up. Leaving you in your sports bra and the rags keeping your shoulder clean till it heals. 

"But it worked. . ." you look round at him. 

"One word won't change anything." He grunts, standing. "You're going back. . ." You can see his jaw clench, as he shakes his head, his muscles are tense, more noticeable under one less layer. You try to stand, sliding yourself up against the cabin wall not wanting him to see how dizzy you felt. He continues to pace. "You're going back to Steve and I'm going on alone, this was stupid of you. . . I'm an monster a criminal. . . and you're. . ." 

"I'm what?" 

"FUCKING ENGAGED! Sweet fuck Y/N what are you doing???" 

"I came to help you." You say gently, really feeling woozy, as he storms around. 

"Great well, I don't need it so go." 

"You're lashing out because I saw your time as the soldier" 

"No but you need to go back to Steve. . ." 

"He'll understand" Bucky stops pacing, running his hand through his hair he looks at you, your voice sounding delirious. "Just let me help you I'm fine" But he catches you before you fall, dropping into his arms you look up at him, studying his face, reaching up at him. "Have I just made this all up again?" You frown, stroking his facial hair, across his jawline and cheek to his chin. 

"What are you talking about?" 

"I was grieving Bucky I never meant to hurt anyone." 

"I'm sure you didn't. . " he says confused but more concerned with how out of it you now seemed. He lifts you up, bridal style taking you inside laying you on the one good bed in the place. "Rest, then you're going back." He says as your eyes drop closed. 

"James. . ." He turns, walking back to you. "When did you stop calling me doll?" 

"Stop talking and rest." He leave the room, heading towards the table he takes out a phone from his bag, and googled your name and trying to find out what the hell you were on about.