8 | BASIC INSTINCT

WE'VE GOT A REAL-LIFE HORROR MOVIE GOING ON.

☆︎ SEPTEMBER 25TH, 1996 ☆︎

Going to school was almost as nightmarish as being chased around the Becker house by a murderer. People were constantly coming up to Indiana and telling her how sorry they were. And if they weren't doing that, they were hassling for the details of what really happened since the police were keeping details to themselves.

And all day, students and teachers were pulled from classes to sit through questioning by the police. Several times, Indiana was dragged into the creep that was Principal Himbry's office to reclarify details to Dewey and the sheriff. During her physics class, where Indiana's seat was by a huge window, she caught sight of some cameraman shooting footage of her — Stu ended up swapping seats with her, making sure his tall frame hid her away.

So, just maybe, Virginia was right and Indiana should've taken a day off from school.

When the final bell rang, freeing them, Indiana didn't immediately go home despite Billy promising Virginia that he'd drive her right there. Instead, she met with her friends on the fountain in the school courtyard. Since it was still school property, none of the news vans could get to them. The only ones missing were Isaiah and Sophia, as they had an extra band practice because of an upcoming competition.

Tatum was squished between Randy and Stu, half on her boyfriend's lap. Jackson was next to Stu, and Indiana was on the ground in between his legs, letting the boy put her hair into two French braids. Sidney was next to them, Billy's legs on either side of her as he laid on his back and soaked in the sunshine.

"What'd you say when they asked you about the band name?" Indiana asked Jackson with a small smile. He was going over his interrogation, which happened in their last class of the day.

"I said if I wanted to kill you, I'd save it for this year's Halloween gig. It's the only way to top what you did last year," Jackson said with a grin.

"Are we gonna have to rebrand?" she asked him, frowning a little. "It's such a bitchin' name."

"I think you're good," Tatum told her while eating some grapes. "If anything, it's free publicity."

"Right," she said, snorting. "Let me just write the killer a thank you note real quick."

"How thoughtful of you," Billy said, shooting her a smirk.

"So, what else did they ask, Jack?" Sidney asked him. "Mine didn't take very long, but they asked me if I knew Casey."

"Oh yeah, they asked me that too," Tatum said.

"Which, of course, everyone knew her," Indy chimed in, thinking of how small the town was.