12.2 Stay Out Of The Way Of A Man With An Axe To Grind

One of Colita's harem fled right into Nox's path. He flexed his fist, and the Icarus disintegrated into dust. Running from human children. How pathetic.

Nikki barged around the corner in pursuit of her quarry. She stopped short, recognizing him.

Nox grinned with satisfaction. He had a promise to fulfill.

"You really are here," Nikki whispered, her voice hoarse with exertion and smoke inhalation.

"Yes." Nox chuckled. She was such a tiny thing. Measuring below his chest, she hardly weighed over eight stones. He considered her frame delicate. Her facial bone structure was like that of a pixie. And her beautiful fair skin and hair would elicit instincts of possession and protection.

To a human, anyway.

To a being like Nox, he interpreted her weak, fragile body as a challenge. How many ways could he break her? How much could he gain?

His predatory instincts must've shown on his face because those lovely gray eyes of hers widened. So enticing. She surprised him by brandishing her sword. Nox resisted the urge to taunt her.

Let her own this moment. Die with some dignity.

"It's a dangerous game you play," Nox said instead.

With grave eyes, Nikki vowed, "It's not a game. I won't let you take Rayne."

Nox nodded in approval. Her death wouldn't be quick, but he would honor her as a warrior. Well, as much as he could without bothering to draw his sword. "Then be swift in your actions, woman. I won't play pity to your stature."

Nikki lunged at him.

He feigned a narrow evasion of her weak demonstration. He trusted the Icarean Traitor did a better job training Rayne. Otherwise, they'd wasted four years.

Nikki lunged again.

Nox exaggerated the effort to jump aside. He took cruel enjoyment watching the confidence build in her moves and the determination to slay the dragon grow on her face. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad appetizer to the main course.

It was time to get a few of his own offensive maneuvers in. While dodging another attack, Nox asked, "What do you think will happen after you defeat me?"

Sweat beaded across Nikki's brow. This close to the fire, humans would have trouble withstanding the increased temperatures without a nacre. She withheld an answer but grunted cutely as she attempted to slash him.

Nox intentionally inflated the twirl of his cloak as he spun away. All the while Nikki made her advances, he drew her further into the smoky corridor of South Hall.

Nox asked again, "Do you think you'll be the prince rescuing the princess?"

Nikki's slashing intensified, and a fierceness cast a deadly look on her face. Meanwhile, Nox maintained a cavalier air even with his flourishes to boost her confidence. Nikki breathed heavier in the denser smoke as she stepped back in a defensive pose.

"I save the day," she finally answered him.

But Nox wasn't satisfied. "And then what?"

No response. Nikki need not say anything. He already knew what this girl's childish mind imagined for the outcome of this battle. Nox tsked before he said, "You get the girl, and you both live happily ever after?"

Nikki faltered. For a second, the confidence drained out of her. Between heavy breaths, she said in a small voice, "If that's what Rayne wants." The sliver of desperate hope in those words almost broke what remained of his heart.

It was time to end this. "Well..." Nox took the gloves off his fingers and cracked his knuckles. He rolled his shoulders back and rotated his neck.

All the while, Nikki watched and her eyes grew less fierce and more aware of her surroundings.

Nox said, "I'm afraid that's just not how your story will end."

In the empty hallway, through the building's silence, in the smallest voice he'd ever heard, Nikki said, "No. No, it was never going to."

Ah, so she understood. It was meant to end this way. Well, Nox gave her credit for her bravery and her devotion. Her loyalty was not unlike Korac's to himself. Nox respected that. He said, "It won't be quick, and it won't be painless."

The small woman squared her shoulders and gripped the sword tightly. Lacking the strength for anymore words, Nikki nodded.

Nox swung one fist into her face. He used the other to grab the sword she attempted to impale him with. He ripped it out of her hand and sent it flying toward the technology hallway with the worst of the fire. With not even a sliver of effort, he grabbed her upper arms and hauled her off her feet.

Nikki never screamed. Just grunted, and even that was involuntary. She tried to kick Nox, and he admired that. He threw her into the nearest wall.

Nikki's eyes were already swelling shut. Her ears and lips bled. She tried to pull herself back up. There. Hot tears streamed from her good eye. It was enough to send him over the edge and make him drain her dry.

But Nox refused to drink from her. Since the Vacating, Nikki's affiliation with the Progeny was a contamination to his kind. Only Celindria reserved the honor until now. He would pass it on to Rayne.

Nox slammed his fist into the other side of Nikki's face. He might as well make the bruising even. That time, she screamed and spat out something solid. Humans were such weak things. She tried to punch him in the crotch. He grabbed her fist and wrenched her arm back.

"Now, I think you've had enough fun." Nox lifted Nikki by her throat and threw her into one of many heaps of flaming rubble.

She screamed until her voice went ragged. She rolled and turned until she doused the flames.

Nox smiled with satisfaction. Ever since he saw the construction of this school, he really, really wanted to try this. He lifted one hand into the air and pulled the riot gate down.

The gate slammed into Nikki's midsection. The writhing of her partially cooked body treated him to an aphrodisiac. Again. He had to do it again. He raised the gate high and paused.

Nox wanted to see the futility in her eyes.

Nikki disappointed him, barely looking at him at all. Her head lolled in a pitiful sight to one side. Blood oozed out of her mouth and ears. Her swollen eyes left her unrecognizable from the delectable creature he'd started this little tiff with.

Nox demanded, "Come on! Put some fight into it!"

Nikki shook her head.

This was pointless, but before he finished her, he leaned in close and whispered, "You remember your visions I showed you?"

Nikki struggled to glance at him, but he saw the recognition in her eyes. Good.

"If you think about it, the one about you dying in pain came true." Nox paused, waiting for her to acknowledge it.

After a long time, Nikki nodded.

He smirked, saying, "And you know without a doubt the one about Rayne and Sagan was true."

Again, a weak nod of the head.

Nox said, "Then, I promise I'll do everything in my power to make the third one happen. And when I finally do, I will think of you while I'm enjoying my time with our girl."

The human heart. Despite the painful swelling, fresh tears forced their way out of the corners of Nikki's eyes. And there, on the edge of his hearing, came a sob.

"Mmm," he purred as he stood back to his full height. "Good night, little prince."

Nox slammed the gate for the last time.