4.3 Blind Enmity Won't Alter Reality

"You'll kick ass tonight. Don't be so nervous, Sagan."

Sagan sighed. It was easy for Rayne to say. She made running that training course her life, where Sagan only trained at the pace of a normal human being.

As if to assure Sagan, Rayne captured her chin and kissed her, soft and quick. They were under the bleachers again—this time Sagan had checked to make sure they were alone. But...

In the dusk hour, the coming night felt alive with possibility. Almost every night felt that way lately. Sagan blamed a certain gorgeous man of her dreams for the constant nocturnal anticipation—

"Hey." Rayne kissed Sagan again. "Stay with me." Tonight, Rayne was in all black—a skater dress and tights with chunky-heeled combat boots.

Guilt and shame suffused Sagan. She was still keeping Korac a secret, even from her girlfriend. Worse, Sagan was confiding her concerns for Rayne to the secret soldier. She tried for a reassuring smile. "I got this."

"Damn straight." Rayne hooked her arm through Sagan's and pulled her out of the stands. "C'mon. I can't wait to cheer you on."

Parents, teachers, and students filled the bleachers, prepared to cheer on J. A. Fair's track team. This was Sagan's second meet, but in her first one, she set a new school record thanks to Xelan's training and possibly because of a genetic advantage. One day, Sagan would like for their guardian to come to a meet, but it felt silly asking someone who'd already dedicated so much time to them to take even more time for her school stuff.

With that in mind, Sagan glanced over at her team. Their coach was looking through the crowd, most likely searching for her. She hugged Rayne, saying, "Thanks for coming."

"I wouldn't miss this. Did you not invite Tameka?"

Sagan laughed. "It's Wednesday, remember? I wouldn't dare ask her to give up her Xelan night for me."

Rayne giggled. "It's so obvious, isn't it? Do you think he knows?"

That was a good question. Sagan shrugged. "If he does, he's playing it cool. As if he were capable of anything less."

"He is pretty cool. Okay. Look for me in the front. Break a leg, girl."

Another hug. "Thanks, babe. I'm so glad you're staying with us tonight."

The almost carnal mischief sparkling in Rayne's eyes took Sagan's breath away. "Me, too." The vixen promptly turned around and walked off.

Okay. Now Sagan had butterflies for a different reason. She made her way through the staging area and found her coach. "Hey, sorry. I was—"

Their principal, Mrs. Mendax, stepped in and patted Sagan's shoulder while she said, "You're up first. We want a strong start. You're our record-breaking star, so don't blow it."

The coach gave a helpless shrug.

Yikes.

Hurdles were nothing compared to the vaulting walls on the training course. Sagan had this. While she stripped out of her windbreaker pants, she practiced meditative breathing techniques, another courtesy of Xelan. The short running shorts beneath bared her legs to the cool March night air, and goosebumps formed down the striations of her toned quads.

Whistling brought Sagan around with a grin for Rayne—

It wasn't Rayne whistling at her.

Justin, allowed in the staging area because of his school athlete prestige, was devouring Sagan with his eyes. His 'cat that ate the canary' grin unsettled her. After hanging out with Icari like Xelan and Korac, the adolescent boy's tenor lacked appeal—all immature and smarmy. "Looking good, Sterling."