2.5 In The Dark Where My Enemy Waits Patiently

Sagan dodged the first blow, but dropped her defenses and took the second one to the gut. Air whooshed out of her lungs as Sagan choked on her breath.

"Again."

Korac gave orders like a General who was accustomed to compliance. He'd whooped Sagan's ass for the last two hours, and she'd loved every second of it. With his help, she would surely become a better fighter.

Again, Sagan stood and centered herself, raised her fists in a pose which defended her face and core. This time when Korac came at her with the first blow, she swept aside so the second strike kissed the air beside her.

There was no time to celebrate as Korac used his greater reach to grapple Sagan against him. Even though this was a dream, his warmth seeped through her pajamas along her back. As his arms enveloped her, she felt trapped, suffocated.

Panicked, Sagan abandoned her short-term training and struggled in his grip.

Korac released her immediately, taking a step back and giving her some space.

Deep breath in. Pause. Ease it out.

As Sagan recovered, Korac assessed her with sharp eyes. They were so strange. From a distance, they were simply white, but Sagan had gotten close enough to see the dark flecks of gray surrounding his pupil.

Korac also smelled like a cold winter night in a orchard of evergreens. The silk of his shirt felt as soft as it looked. His long fingers held a wealth of strength controlled in gentler touches—

Okay.

Sagan was crushing.

Hard.

The Icarus was gorgeous, and there was a smooth cadence to Korac's voice which hypnotized Sagan every time he spoke. She couldn't wait to share this dream with Tameka and Rayne—

"Your fight-or-flight instincts require reprogramming. You try to flutter away like a butterfly when you should ground yourself and flip me off of you like a tiger."

Korac kept his distance and left his hands loose at his sides, non-threatening, but Sagan knew how fast he could strike.

And how painfully.

It was strange experiencing sensation in a dream.

Sagan stretched her sore limbs before settling back into her stance, ready to fight again.

Korac's keen eyes flickered with some unknown response before he shook his head. "No more, tonight. You'll need rest to build your strength."

Yeah. Sagan was not Rayne, and she had a quiz in the morning. Still... She could stand to spend a few more minutes getting to know this Icarus. "I can't wait to tell Xelan. Will you be training the others, as well?"

Again, Korac shook his head solemnly and shame replaced the intelligence in his eyes. He confessed, "I'm not supposed to be here. Not with any of you." He swallowed before taking a step toward her. "Sagan, I lied to you."

That took her aback, and she frowned.

Remorse thickened Korac's voice as he said, "Xelan didn't send me. I'm here against orders not to interfere with your training, but you're so vital, I couldn't stay away." He took another step, beseeching. His eyes begged Sagan to believe the sad sincerity. "I fear without extra combat skills, you'll never reach your full potential, and I couldn't allow that."

Sagan let Korac closer, hearing him out. "Why would someone order you not to interfere?"

The same something—respect, regard—flickered in his eyes again before Korac said, "The Brethren. They want you to live normal lives. Xelan could face major consequences for contacting you. As would I. So please. Don't endanger him further by mentioning me, and we'll keep our sessions a secret."

Sagan stood before an Icarus in the throes of regret. What he said made sense. This 'Brethren' had kept the Progeny's birthright a secret from them all their lives. From their parents—hell—from the world. If they'd known this invasion was coming, why were they keeping it hush-hush?

With Korac's help, Sagan could advance faster, and she could better stand a chance at protecting her friends and the Earth. She'd have to limit how much of her progress she would let Xelan see, lest he notice, but Sagan could manage that.

Boy.

Tackling an advanced placement curriculum sure seemed hard enough before Sagan learned the fate of the world depended on them. Now, she was looking at training sessions with two badass Icari while trying to maintain a social life. Maybe even dating.

Maybe even dating Rayne.

Korac waited patiently like a gorgeous statue while Sagan considered their situation. He wasn't pressuring her, and this didn't feel like conniving manipulation. He simply asked a favor of her.

Sagan smiled. She could deliver. "Sure. How often would you like to train together?"

Lord, when the Icarus smiled, it lit Sagan up inside. Korac said, "Every night, if you can."

Every night with him.

"Yeah. I think I can manage that."