1.3 Fate and Gifts-Chosen One? Try Chosen Five

Last period.

Sagan couldn't imagine this day going by any slower, especially her advanced placement Chemistry class. At least her lab partner was awesome.

Lynn Renee's deep brown eyes matched her braids and flawless complexion. Said umber eyes were sharp as she carefully measured a solution into a beaker. Satisfied, she said, "There. Now we set it on the Bunsen burner-Hey, are you with me, girl?"

Sagan shook herself, saying, "Yeah. Sorry. We want to heat it to three hundred degrees Celsius." Even though Sagan had watched every step and documented their results, she couldn't keep her mind from Rayne's mysterious visitor. And despite the progressing migraine, Sagan continued to formulate questions about the planet called, 'Cinder.'

Beside Lynn and Sagan's lab table, another student warned his partner, "Hey, Justin. I think that's too hot."

Sagan looked over to see John inching away from the Bunsen burner of which Justin had cranked all the way open. The liquid in their beaker was foaming. She warned, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Justin's mouth lilted into something he thought passed for a sexy smirk, but it came across as condescending. The sleaze behind it filled his voice as he said, "Don't worry, gorgeous. I know what I'm doing. Here and in the bedroom." He blew her a kiss.

Sagan recoiled, and her stomach soured at his unwanted advance. She was only fifteen for fuck's sake. It didn't matter that Justin was conventionally attractive. His quarterback entitlement had always unnerved Sagan.

Unimpressed, Lynn leaned across the table, saying, "Yeah, well. Are you planning to blow prematurely there, too?"

The beaker shattered, and glass went everywhere.

John yipped and ducked under their table.

Justin scowled. Under his breath he mumbled, "Whatever." Loud enough for the teacher to hear, he said, "Hey, we need another beaker. Genius John, here, disintegrated ours."

"Asshole." John, cute in a geeky best friend kind of way, folded his arms and sulked on his stool. He grumbled, "This better not affect my first nine weeks report card."

Sagan looked back to her beaker and gave a little cheer. "Woo! From clear to blue. We did it, Lynn!"

They high-fived, and when Sagan turned around to stick her tongue out at Justin, she froze.

For the split second before their eyes met, the strangest look was on his face.

Desire-

No.

Ownership.

The intensity of it chilled Sagan to the bone, and she looked away to hide her anxiety. Maybe she could use a guardian.

Mrs. Callahan picked up the girls from school for a three-day sleepover at Rayne's house. There, they ate pizza and prepared for the big night.

"Thanks for always remembering pineapple, Mrs. Callahan." Sagan gave Rayne's mom a thumbs up.

Michelle shuddered. "I'm glad you're enjoying it, dear."

Tameka owned the pepperoni and jalapeño with a knife and fork.

The Callahans were awesome enough to let Tameka and Sagan stay over regularly since they were kids. Between Michelle running a bookstore and Ray working graveyard at the hospital, they kept busy. With Rayne starting high school and her little brother, Jack, not far behind, they did their best, and Sagan loved them for it.