5.5 Confusion And Disappointment-Maturity and Responsibility

It was Andrew's turn with Xelan tonight. The young man groaned as he exited Hall High School and crossed the student parking lot to his car.

Every Thursday he trained with Xelan. And every Friday, Saturday, and sometimes even Sunday, his muscles ached from the workout. The DOMs sucked, and now that the Progeny were getting older and more independent, they were discussing training on Saturday nights at the training ground as well.

Fuck. That.

Although Andrew barely got around on the weekends, they still belonged to him. He protected his free time because if he didn't, Rayne and Xelan planned all kinds of exercises for their unit to do.

Between that and Andrew's responsibilities to The Brethren, he was tapped out.

With a sigh, Andrew plopped into the car and cranked up the radio. Insane Clown Posse made everything better. He sped on the drive to the park in his mom's Volkswagen Jetta. It was nothing fancy. Just operable. Andrew was grateful he was one of the few students at Hall High with any wheels.

After he pulled into the gravel lot, Andrew reclined the seat and plugged a joint in his mouth. Lit it, took a puff, and slowed it on the exhale. No one could take this from him.

Andrew liked this quiet time right after school. His mom worked late into the evening, and she still believed he was working part time at the Callahan's bookstore. It'd break her heart to know he dealt dope on the side.

When someone knocked on his car door, Andrew jumped four inches out of his seat. Xelan peered at him through the driver's side window. With a groan, Andrew rolled it down. "Dude, what's with the jump scare?"

Xelan grinned. "I was only checking your reflexes."

Andrew stubbed out his joint and popped the door open. Frustration wound his body tight until his neck strained from it.

After a deep breath, he cranked his head to the left. Then to the right. The pops and cracks relieved some pressure.

Andrew absorbed the sight of the trees and the expanse of mown grass around him. With the cloud coverage, dusk came early tonight. He lamented his extra hour alone.

Xelan wasn't his usual enthusiastic self. He lingered off at the edge of the parking lot, staring at the pool of light under the streetlamp.

"What's up, man?" Andrew felt closer to Xelan than the other Progeny, seeing behind the scenes of how much politics was holding their guardian back. It made Andrew more sympathetic toward Xelan's efforts.

With a heavy sigh, Xelan said, "Lucas came to see me, today."

Aw shit. "Bad news?"

The Icarus nodded. "Unfortunately."

What would it take for them to catch a break around here? It wasn't Xelan's fault, but damn. The other Icari so far had proved less than helpful. Andrew asked, "What reason could they possibly give for leaving us like sitting ducks?"

"That's the thing about The Brethren, they don't need to give a reason. Without their support, I can't risk contacting Enki for nacres or weapons or..." Xelan went on for a bit, pacing and muttering about their meager limitations.

But more pressing concerns plagued Andrew. "What about Rayne? Will they do anything to protect her?"

Xelan shook his head. "I couldn't risk mentioning her without exposing the truth about the Progeny training. If they wouldn't provide you nacres or reinforcements, I doubt they'd offer her any sanctuary."

There was that mounting frustration again. Andrew asked, "So that's it?! Rayne lives with a target on her back while we learn mixed martial arts and try to match your otherworldly speed? Xelan, please tell me she knows?"