10.3 Warrior Beware-Here Be Monsters

Andrew hated J. A. Fair. Why the fuck did someone build an underground school? There were no windows in the inner hallway. And what was with all these crazy gates?

One blocked their way out of North Hall, leading to the offices and the cafeteria.

Kyle, Rayne, and Tameka rattled it some, trying to raise it, but Andrew discovered a padlock keeping it in place. He said, "I guess we have to go around."

This was Andrew's first time meeting John, since they didn't attend the same school, and so far Andrew had kept from forming an opinion until the Osage teen said, "We'll march right into the deathtrap they've obviously made of the gym."

John's observation was likely spot on, but was this really the time for negativity?

Also, Andrew hated the side glances Rayne was shooting Andrew's way. She clearly found his arrival suspicious—And for good reason. Andrew's appearance at their school on the very day Nox invaded was suspicious as hell, but he couldn't live with himself if her wariness toward him distracted Rayne from the fight.

Nikki, a saint as far as Andrew was concerned, nudged John playfully as she said, "We won't let anything happen to you."

Kyle humphed.

With a reassuring smile, Sagan said, "There's only one way to find out."

Tameka cried, "What the fuck, Rayne?!"

The brunette's hair trailed behind her as she went headlong into the gym without checking inside.

They followed Rayne into the lion's den. Andrew breathed, "Oh, shit."

Six cloaked soldiers spanned the breadth of the gym, acting as personal guard to the woman who led them. Long legs, softly rounded hips, a tiny waist, and a modest chest made up her tall, athletic frame. The mass of blond curls around her face and shoulders emphasized the sky blue of her eyes.

Colita smiled. Large, curved canines protruded.

Andrew blinked, but no matter how hard he tried, the nightmare didn't go away.

Colita bowed her head, saying, "Celindria, Merit, and The Afflicted One." She greeted the three girls in front as she scanned their unit.

Kyle swallowed audibly, and Andrew knew instantly Kyle had let the Icarean female seduce him.

Tameka glanced at him.

Kyle's face filled with blood, and his eyes found the linoleum very interesting.

Rayne blinked at him. "Really?"

"What?! It was a dream!" he cried.

Andrew noticed John also looked elsewhere.

Sagan gaped, asking, "And you, too?"

Heat reddened John's complexion.

Rayne's jaw slacked open.

Tameka whistled. "Colita's been busy."

John shrugged.

Andrew understood.

Colita gasped in mock surprise. "Andrius. My, my. Our spy said you wouldn't be here. I suppose we were misled." She glanced over her shoulder.

The other soldiers took a step away from one warrior with mahogany-colored hair and skin the color of rust.

He stuttered over his apology, "Mistress, there was no way I could know—"

Colita cut him off with a sharp, "Silence!" Her voice echoed off the walls in one harsh hiss.