Chapter 15

We sit on the bedspread, already dressed. My head rests on his chest, while his hands hug me, bringing me peace and comfort. We are silent – there is no need for words, the closeness we are experiencing is more that enough to tell each other that we've successfully took the next step in our growing relationship.

I notice the sky darken, alerting us that we must get back before someone notices our absence. Sebastian stands up, puts everything in the bag (refusing my help again) and gives me a hand to help me get to the exit of the cave.

"We wouldn't want to get you wet again, would we?" He smirks.

"I must say that it did turn out well last time..." I smile, realizing only a few second afterwards that my phrase was quite ambiguous.

We walk towards Hogwarts, holding hands.

"How do you feel?" Sebastian asks.

"I'm great. How are you?"

"I'm great is well." He pauses, "Nellie, I wanted to talk to you about something..."

"Yes?"

"I think we should talk about...well...I don't know how to say this right, but I guess I mean that I don't want to jeopardize our education and our future lives..."

"Yes..."

"I believe that considering that we've become...closer we should think of protection..."

"I've been thinking the same thing." I say, reassuring him that I am comfortable with this conversation.

"I know of a certain potion, it stops you from being able to bear children. Not permanently of course, just for the time you drink that potion. I can order some if you want."

"Thank you, this would be really..."

I am interrupted by the loud crash somewhere near the hill, in the mines. We look at each other and I understand that the same thought struck us.

We must investigate.

What is it this time? It could be a troll, it could be a duelist, it could be an Ashwinder...

But it's none of those things.

We are standing in the bushes. A giant stone allows us to stay hidden, but at the same time to see what is going on. And I just can't believe my eyes.

We see a group of goblins, building a giant drill. It is three...no, four times bigger than the ones they used to get to the repository. It looks enormous, I bet that they modified their creation to get through enhanced wards professors put on Hogwarts after their last attack. But why would they need it?

I put on a Disillusionment charm to come closer.

"Penelope, wait! What are you doing?" Sebastian obviously doesn't appreciate being left behind that stone and follows me. Now, when we are closer, goblins' conversations can be heard.

"The drill is essential for His plan...He believes that what we seek is still there."

"How can He be so sure? He was unconscious when He was found."

"There are still traces of It in Him...He feels that That Place is where we need to go."

Merlin, can't they be a bit more precise? Wait, what is it?

"It's a wizard..." Sebastian whispers, pointing to the dark figure standing somewhere further in the mine. The silhouette is hardly discernible, but there is no doubt - it is definitely not a goblin.

"Is there any chance that it is Rookwood?" Sebastian goes on.

"No, I am certain that he is dead. Besides, the figure is way too short to be him and he's never wore a cape!"

"Who is it then?"

"How would I know?"

While we argue goblins seem to start fussing. The figure comes closer to the light, but not close enough for us to see their face. We hear a rumble and see a crowd of goblins in luxury armor (clearly self-produced). They are heading to the drill and as they approach they stand awfully close to the place Sebastian and I are hiding in. He takes my hand and says

"Let's go back, it's not safe here, they will sense us."

"Wait, we might learn something."

"What's the point of learning something if you won't be able to use it? And you won't, considering that there are about two dozen of them and just the two of us."

We're slowly backing towards the castle, staring at the crowd. And oh boy, there is certainly something worth staring at.

The Ranrok himself is examining the drill.

It is enough for me to grab my wand and point it at him. How is he alive? Why is he alive? How should I kill him for good now?

Should I use Avada Kedavra? No, way too easy and painless death for him. Should I lift him and then slam to the ground a few times? No, I need something original.

Maybe I should use Arresto Momentum – Accio on him? I could hide him in the same cave I killed that poacher and then I could do so many things...

Like pulling his claws out one by one, without forgetting to apply that great pain giving spell I've learned from time to time. And then I could use Diffindo to cut him slowly, reminding him of all the pain his actions caused me, Sebastian, Anne and many others...

Sebastian drags me to Hogwarts while I am still in my thoughts fantasizing about numerous ways I could kill him. The sound of gates closing brings me back to my senses.

"Listen to me." Sebastian puts his hands on my shoulders, "Right now, we will go to our dorm and sleep well until tomorrow morning. Tomorrow, after detentions we will go to the Room of Requirement and discuss..."

"There is no 'we' on this matter." I interrupt, "He is my enemy, he is after me, he wants revenge. He is my problem, Sebastian. A problem I have handled well last time, and this time I will handle it as well. There is no need for you to get into this."

"Handled it well last time, huh?" Sebastian starts getting irritated, "Your mentor got killed, you obtained the power you could not handle until I stepped in, you were clearly on the edge of a nervous breakdown. You almost attacked him now, putting your life in danger. If this is your definition of 'handled it well' I can add madness to this list."

"You!" I start losing control of my emotions, "How dare you say this to me after all I've gone through? Of course, there were some losses. Yes, I did take Professor Fig's death hard. But, I repeat, Ranrok is my problem! How don't you understand, I don't want you to get fucking hurt!"

"And I don't want you to get hurt!" Our conversation has escalated to screams.

We stare at each other, both angry because of our stubbornness.

"What is going on with you?" Sebastian whispers.

"Nothing is going on with me!"

"But it does."

"Ugh, if you think so, I guess you've never really known me!" I exclaim, heading towards the entrance, leaving him standing near the gates.

Merlin, how can a man be so blind?