Chapter 2

POV Penelope

As the Bells were announcing dinner, Hogwarts students were slowly flowing into the Great Hall. They were whispering about the announcement professor Black was about to make - some said that he will unban Quidditch, others suspected that it had to do with the fact that the bells were back on the Bell tower, even though Black ordered to take them off.

And only Professors and I knew what the speech will be about.

I was bracing myself for such a depressing reminder during the whole day. Of course, Fig and I weren't family or something like that, but I still saw him as a father figure, and the loss of it is way heavier than the loss of my parents. It's like I feel betrayed, like I was promised something, and that promise was shattered to pieces.

Black starts his speech.

"Professor Eleazar Fig, I dare say..."

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry

"...he built the reputation...charging into the unknown..."

I won't cry, I won't cry, I won't cry.

"His devotion to adventure was rivaled only by his dedication to Hogwarts - and, of course, his wife Mari..."

It's MIRIam you dumb fuck.

I can't hold my tears anymore. Imelda pulls me into a hug, saying that it's going to be alright and that I will get through it and many other things that are supposed to make me feel better.

But they don't.

Nothing does.

Why is it always me?

"How are you?" I hear a young man's voice behind me, as I stand beside House Hourglasses.

"I'm fine I guess", I answer while Sebastian approaches, "Why do you ask?"

"Liar"

"I am fine, truly."

He comes even closer.

"I've seen you fall from the broom. I've seen you cast an Imperio spell on Ominis. I've seen you do many things that would traumatize any other person in this school for life, and you did them without any sight of emotion or whatsoever. And today I saw you crying, lashing out all the pain and sadness you had in your heart, because you learned about death of someone you cared about and that was the last straw. You are not fine. After these six months you can't possibly be."

I feel the tears coming back.

"I guess I am...", I stutter as I feel my voice break, "Really not...fine."

He pulls me into a hug, which feels much more comforting and safe than all those hugs and condolences I received in the Great Hall. I know that Sebastian understands what I'm going through and that's the reason why I value his concern more than any other's.

I don't know for how long have we been standing there, but I certainly feel much better.

"How are you doing?"

Sebastian sighs, but answers my question.

"I'm alright, I guess. I did the right thing, I know I did, even if right now the only thing I feel is guilt. Even if Anne hates me now, she must understand that I was only trying to save her."

"Ominis thought of turning you in."

Sebastian breaks a hug and looks at me, confused and lost.

"Turn me in?"