Chapter 9

POV Sebastian

Three hours before

The news of the upcoming ball made students light up, and I am no exception. Of course, who would not dream of experiencing such an event. Beautiful decorations, charming attires, music and, most importantly, pairs of students, swirling around, enjoying the romantic atmosphere.

I feel my life becoming better. I don't feel that much grief for Solomon, Ominis and I are friends again, Anne decided to resume contact and Penelope...

Penelope makes me feel like the luckiest man on Earth. Our trip to Ardbrek was marvelous, she was marvelous. I believe that the upcoming ball is a perfect opportunity for me to finally confess my feelings to her. Whether accepts she my feelings or not – I will finally lift that weight from my chest.

The common room is filled with students, untypical for that kind of hour. Ominis, Imelda and I sit beside the fireplace, some students join us.

"As I believe that we've all had enough speculations for today, I suggest to play the game of truth or dare." Imelda says after an hour of discussing theme, decorations, couples, dresses and all other ball-related subjects.

No one opposes and the game begins. Two hours of ridiculous dares and juicy truths flew by, and everything was going smoothly until it was my turn to receive Imelda's question.

"So, Sebastian, truth or dare?"

"I'll go with dare."

"Great, I dare you... to run naked through the Great Hall, shouting that you love Ominis!"

What?

"No! Imelda, are you out of your mind? We are friends after all and have a reputation to maintain!"

"And some of us have families, who would not appreciate being associated with such activities." Ominis isn't thrilled with the idea either. "Okay, I will change the dare, it won't be wicked or embarrassing, but you must promise me that you will do it." Imelda is so serious all of the sudden.

"Okay, I will change the dare, it won't be wicked or embarrassing, but you must promise me that you will do it." Imelda is so serious all of the sudden.

"Deal."

"You will go to the Spring Welcoming Ball with me, and you will tell everyone that you invited me."

What?! No, no deal, I wanted to take Penelope, it was supposed to be our moment, our beginning of the relationship, our dance...

But before I can oppose, she appears. And she is going here...

"Hey, Pen. We were just discussing the latest news!" Oh, and now you are so cheerful, right Imelda?

"What news?" She asks. Merlin, please, I will never do anything bad ever again if...

"Professor Black announced at today's dinner that in two weeks the Spring Welcoming Ball will take place." Ominis answers, "We are discussing who will go with whom, what will everyone wear, how we will learn to dance and all that stuff. So sad, I won't be able to enjoy the decorations, but at least I will hear the music!"

"And we already have a pair!" That sixth-year girl interjects, "Sebastian and Imelda! He lost her a wish when..."

MERLIN'S BEARD, SHUT UP EVERYONE.

Imelda pushes the girl to tell her version of truth.

"Sebastian has just invited me to go the ball with him! Isn't it great, Pen?"

She is calm. Why is she calm? Isn't she angry? Isn't she sad?

She is like a mountain. Not a single sight of emotion. After a few seconds she makes a smile that looks forced, and I can swear that I saw her eyes darken for a moment.