Chapter 2

Once the day had ended and both boys were home, I decided to sit them down in the living room so Tristan and I could finally give them the talk.

I've been dreading this moment. Because it reminds me just how real it all is.

My knee bounced, notifying my husband of the nervous wreck I was. He placed his hand on my thigh and lightly squeezed. "Respirare(Breathe)."

Inhaling deeply through my nose, I exhale out through my mouth as my eyes dart back and forth between my boys. Telling them their heirs to a criminal mob boss without telling them their heirs to a criminal mob boss was the absolute last thing I ever wanted to be doing.

They shouldn't have to worry about any of this. They weren't worrying about any of this. But then just like most kids their age, they talk. It didn't matter whether they overheard their parents talking or not because they were bound to find out. I just wish it had been from us and not at this stage in their life.

They're young. Too young. They should be worried about what scary movies they're not allowed to watch, or what prank they will pull next. Not about whether or not mommy and daddy are bad guys.

I sighed and looked at Tristan. I didn't know where to begin. How do you even prepare for something like this? This isn't written in any of the parenting books I read.

Earlier, I dialed Mia's number and asked her to tell me how she told her kids. And now I'm sitting here hoping the advice she gave me will work for a five and seven-year-old.

I opened my mouth to speak, Mateo and Gianni waiting patiently for me to explain why I'd disrupted their snack time.

Tristan spoke first, the hand on my knee moving to hold my shaky hand. "Mommy and I wanted to talk to you guys about something."

My heart raced. I could hear it loudly thumping in my chest.

Tristan directed his attention to Mateo. "You heard your classmate say that mommy and daddy are bad guys, yes?"

Mateo nodded. "Ryan said his mommy and daddy told him that you hurt people."

Tristan let go of my hand. "It's a little more complicated than that figlio(son)."

"How?" Gianni questioned.

"Um." Tristan looked at me. "Well, you see, sometimes people upset me and I punish them."

"Punish them?" Gianni repeated in confusion.

"Yes. And some people don't agree with that."

"Like Batman?" Mateo chirped excitedly. Even though his new favorite hero is Spiderman now, his love for the Bat still peeks through now and again.

"Kind of."

Gianni's eyes flicker between me and Tristan. "So is daddy Batman and mommy Robin?"

Tristan chuckled softly. "Actually, mommy is Batman and I'm Robin."

Damn right.

After explaining to the boys as best we could without corrupting their young minds, Tristan and I let them go eat Gelato in the kitchen while he and I stayed in the living room to talk.

"I'm sorry," Tristan said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me onto his lap. "You were right about everything." He pressed his lips to my neck, breathing in the body wash from my shower this morning.

"I know you're upset. I'm upset too. But you have to keep your temper under control."

"I'm trying, baby. I really am."

"I know you are, amore mio(my love). But you're going to have to try even harder now."

"I understand." He kissed the space behind my ear, his veiny, tattooed hand rubbing my baby bump. "And I'm going to do better. For you and our kids."