The one that got away - Part 7 - Ed x Reader

"What............what are you doing here..............?" (Y/n) continued, as she looked the nervous man up and down.

"Tell her you were an idiot. That you should have never let her go that day. That you have regretted it every day since, and that we still love her........" A voice growled next to Ed's ear. Ed just doing his best to ignore Edward, as he finally summoned up the courage to look up at (Y/n).

He was still blown away. She was breathtaking. Amazing. Her body was a little fuller than it had been in their youth, but it suited her. The forensic examiner doing his best to not let his eyes wander to her curves.

"Tell her that she's beautiful. Tell her that you want to see if she is still as beautiful underneath her clothes as she used to be. Tell her that we want to take her to the bed and make up for all the years..............."

"Shut up.................!"

"I beg your pardon..............?"

"No, no, not you (Y/n). I was talking...........I'm sorry...........I know that I probably shouldn't be here. But...........I just hoped that perhaps we could talk. That we might be able to..............." Ed tried to say. An embarrassed flush heating his cheeks, as he stumbled over his words. The look in (Y/n)'s eyes, not helping any.

"I'm sorry...........I shouldn't have come. I'll go..............." Ed continued, giving (Y/n) a soft smile before he turned and made his way back down the corridor. Ignoring the angry tirade from Edward.

(Y/n) stood in the doorway. Part of her wanted to just slam the door; to slam the door and just forget about the fact that she had even seen him. But the bigger part of her, the bigger part wanted to call out to him. Wanted to tell him to come back. He had appeared so hurt when she looked at him. Hurt and lost like he had done the first day that she had met him. And given that...........

"Ed........! Ed, wait.............!" (Y/n) called out, as she made her way into the corridor. A small smile pulling at the very corners of her lips, as he stopped and turned.

"Come back..........You're right, we should talk............" The commissioner continued, before she made her way back into the room.

Ed stood there for a moment, not sure that he quite believed it. Having a strange feeling that if he did make his way back, she would just slam the door in his face. But what did he have to lose.......nothing. And if she did want to talk, if he could apologise for letting her leave without him, he might just find that he got back a friend. Ed taking a deep breath, before slowly walking back to the door.

"Well, don't just stand there. Come in and close the door............." (Y/n) said, as she took a seat on the sofa. Ed nodding and doing as he was told. The officer shaking her head as he just stood there and looked uncomfortable.

"Ed.......sit down.........You are making the place look untidy and making me nervous." The commissioner added with a sigh. Ed once again nodding, before taking a seat in one of the chairs across from her.

Both of them sat there in an uncomfortable silence. In the past, they had always known what to say to one another; either that, or they would just end up kissing. Ed's thoughts suddenly drifting to memories of he and (Y/n) sat under the bleachers. Ed holding her close, as he pressed his lips to hers. As he had laid her down on the rug that they had brought with them. The pair using the sounds of the football and cheer squad practices, to cover their moans, as they explored one another's body; hands stroking skin, and tongues tasting flesh. The pair of them well aware that it wasn't the best place for them to share their first time, but it was all that they had. And being together was all that had mattered. Knowing one another was all that they cared about.

"So................how have you been..............." (Y/n) suddenly asked. Thinking of something, anything to break the heavy atmosphere.

"I...............good.........good............." Came the hesitant reply. (Y/n) letting out an amused snort, as they both sighed at the same time.

"You look beautiful, by the way. I.......I didn't get the chance to say before............"

"Thank you............and you.............you still look like Ed. I swear that you've hardly changed. When Bullock opened that door, I thought I'd gone back in time and just found you beavering away in the science labs. I should have known that you would end up being some kind of scientist............."

"And you..............a police officer. A commissioner.............?"

"Yeah, well what with dad having been an MP and everything, it just seemed the natural thing to do. It was either that or the army, and the police academy won. The commissioner thing.........just sort of happened." (Y/n) explained. The space becoming quiet as the conversation once again ended.

"Is that it............?" A voice enquired from inside Ed's head. The scientist shaking his head, doing his best to quiet Edward.

"After all these years, all you can do is ask her about her work..........?" Ed suddenly getting to his feet, as he could feel Edward want to start to take over.

"(Y/n).......I'm............I'm sorry. I should never..............."

"I hated you for so long Ed, a part of me still does. I hated you when I was homeless and when I didn't know where my next meal was going to come from. I hated you when I was cold and alone in my bed. I hated that you didn't love me enough to come with me that day; I hated that I continued to love you more than life itself. But most of all I hated myself for leaving you. I was so angry, and as much as I wanted to talk to you, to contact you, I admit that I wanted to hurt you more; to make you feel the pain that I felt as I watched you disappear in the rear-view mirror. But not once did I ever forget about you...........stop loving you. By the time that I had got some sort of normality in my life, I thought that you would have forgotten about me, or that you wouldn't want anything to do with me. So, that's why I never contacted you, I know it was wrong, and I'm sorry................"

"It's me that's sorry, (Y/n)." Ed interrupted, as he came to sit by her side and took her hands. His heart skipping a beat, as she moved to rest her head on his shoulder.