A new year - Oswald x Reader

Just a little something short and sweet for the start of the year. And I would like to wish you all a very happy new year. And I hope that 2022 is better for all of us.

The evening's festivities were in full swing. The night club filled with all manner of revelers. The great and not so good of the city. And Oswald couldn't be happier at the sight before him. Well, he could. If (Y/n) were there right by his side, then the night would be perfect. But at the moment, there was no sign of her.

He knew that he shouldn't have let her go on the job. That he should have tried to persuade her that Victor was more suitable. But (Y/n) being (Y/n), she had insisted. Assuring him that she would be back for the New Year's Eve celebrations that he had organised. Back to be with him, so that they could bring in the new year together. Back so that they could enjoy the beginning of another year together. Yet Oswald had heard nothing from (Y/n) in two days. No one had heard anything from (Y/n) in two days. Not Victor. Not Butch. Not a single one of his henchman. No one. Communication just seeming to completely cease. And Oswald couldn't help but worry. Could help but let his mind wander to all the things that may have happened to his dove.

The job was supposed to be a simple one. But there again, weren't they always supposed to be. To get in and out. No fuss. No issues. Take out the target and come home. But what was he to think now, apart from the possibility that everything had gone wrong? That it had ended badly. And that his beloved could be......... well, could be lying dead somewhere. The thoughts creating terrible images in his mind's eye. Of every awful scenario. Of never seeing his (Y/n) again.

He knew that he shouldn't have got involved with someone that worked for him. But he had found it impossible to resist. Impossible to take his eyes from hers. From her perfect form, from the moment that they had been introduced. Oswald instantly falling prey to her beautiful smile and her gentle touch. And he would soon discover that it wasn't just the outside of (Y/n) that was perfect. A few late nights spent together, just talking as they sat with one another. Conversing over one or two glasses of well-aged scotch, and Oswald had found out that his new assassin had a heart and intelligence that was greater than the outer package. Oswald finding himself falling deeper and deeper in love with (Y/n), as every word fell from her lips. As every discrete giggle, and amused laugh tumbled from her mouth. And as every touch of her hand and flick of her hair sent his mind reeling, he found himself tumbling, headfirst, into the arms of the beautiful assassin. With absolutely no desire to escape from her clutches. The crime boss making sure that whatever he did, and wherever he went, (Y/n) was by his side. And so, it had been for nearly a year. A year of them becoming closer. Of learning more about one another. Of discovering that they didn't need anyone else. And as the clock struck twelve, Oswald had hoped to take their relationship to another level. The ring in the dark red, velvet box, burning a hole in his pocket. The band of gold and large diamonds just begging for a finger to sit on. A finger that it could stay on for the rest of their lives. Yet how could he do that if his dove didn't return to him? Oswald chastising himself for not being firmer with her. For not putting his foot down when she had insisted on taking the job. For not telling her that he needed her with him, not off going to put herself in danger without anyone there to rely on, if something were to go wrong. He fingers rubbing over the velvet box that sat snuggling in his waistcoat pocket. Oswald praying that he would get to present his token of love to his angel, before the clock struck twelve.

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, Oswald spied the doors to the club open. He heart beating faster, as he scanned the rambunctious crowd for the one face that he wanted to see. Hoping that at any moment he would catch the oh so familiar seductive sway of (Y/n)'s hips, push through the crowd as she made her way over. That she would soon be at side. Her arms draped around his neck, as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Pulling her close so that their lips could touch. Yet as he steadied himself against the bar, attempting to raise himself to his full height, that hope disappeared. His smile fading, as he saw every face but (Y/n)'s. Oswald reaching over the bar and grabbing a bottle. The dark brown liquor slopping into the glass and all over the bar top. Even more splashing out, as he dropped a few large cubes of ice into his tumbler.

"You could have waited for me. If you are going to drink the good stuff, at least you can share." A voice said from behind him. An empty glass appearing next to his on the dark stained countertop. Oswald turning on his heels. His breath catching in his throat as he came face to face with a slightly batter and bruised, yet still beautiful (Y/n). Her smile making his heart beat rapidly, once again.

"I told you that I would be home before midnight, didn't I? Now make with the drink, Cobblepot." (Y/n) chuckled. A happy sigh leaving her lips, as Oswald pulled her close. The assassin sure that she had never been so happy to be home. Never been so happy to see Oswald. The assassin gripping tighter to him, as the first chimes of the last moment of the old year rang out. The crowd around the pair counting down, as the next chime struck. Oswald moving away from his dove, so that he could reach into his pocket and pull out the dark red velvet box. The crime boss opening it and presenting the sparkling band to (Y/n).

"Be my dove always. Marry me, (Y/n)?" Oswald asked, his voice barely audible over the excited counting of the party goers. (Y/n) looking between the ring and a nervous Oswald. (Y/n) giving him his answer, as the last chime struck. The cheers of the crowd drowned out by a single wonderful word.

"Yes."