The one that got away - Part 4 - Ed x Reader

Ed! Why did it have to be Ed? Of all the people that lived in the metropolis, why did she have to dump into Ed. And why........why did he have to look so goddamn sweet still? Why did he still have to be the same gawky, geeky, awkward boy that hadn't left with her that day? (Y/n) finding herself cursing at the heavens. Cursing at whatever god might be finding this whole thing amusing. The commissioner wondering whether this was some kind of karma. Not sure whether this meeting was because she had done something good........or bad.

(Y/n) knew that she should be listening to whatever the captain that was sat across from her, was saying. That she should be discussing what this weeklong visit to the dark city was to entail; but how could she think about that now? How could she think about anything but Ed after being confronted with him, as detective Bullock had opened the door?

In that moment, everything had come rushing back. Thoughts and memories that she had done her best to forget, had forced their way to the fore. The recollections of the tears that she had shed as her old, beat up, but still fast car, had left Ed in a cloud of dust. Of the time that she had had to spend in the homeless shelter. Of working three jobs just so that she could put herself through school and then the police academy. Of all the times that she had sat alone in her little apartment with a glass of cheap wine in her hand, wondering what Ed was doing. Wondering if he was alright. If he had been able to achieve all that he had hoped for. If he..............if he had found someone else.

"So............?" A voice suddenly asked. (Y/n) doing her best to not only fight back the embarrassed blush that she felt creeping onto her cheeks as she turned her gaze to the woman that sat across from her; but also, to pretend that she had been listening.

"Yes, erm, I think that would be a great idea............"

"Would you prefer it to be detectives Bullock and Gordon as you have met them already, or, I could have you go around for the day with some of my uniformed officers........?"

"No, no, Bullock and Gordon will be fine. I am sure that those two come in contact with all manner of things during the day. And I am also sure that they would appreciate a day away from doing paperwork. I have never met a cop that liked doing paperwork." (Y/n) chuckled, thankful that she had figured out what Captain Essen had been talking about, and that tomorrow she would be out on the streets of the city rather than in the precinct where Ed was.

"Yes, of course.................oh, if you will just excuse me for a moment, commissioner." Sarah said, her brows furrowing as she finally noticed Ed looking through the windows to her office. The captain getting to her feet and quickly making her way to the door.

                                                    >>------------------------------------<<

Hours! Why did it feel like hours that (Y/n) had been in that office? Ed knew that he had things to do. That there was a new, and interestingly rather grisly body in the morgue that needed his attention. That there were experiments that needed to be checked and reports that had to be written; but how could he do any of that now. Now that the only woman that he had ever imagined spending the rest of his days with, had come back into his life.

In the moment that Bullock had opened the door and Ed had set eyes on her beautiful face, everything had come rushing back. Thoughts and memories that had always been at the back of his mind, had forced their way to the fore. The recollections of the tears that he had shed as he had watched her old, beat up, but still fast car, leave him in a cloud of dust. Of all the time's that he had regretted his decision of staying in Gotham, staying with his mother. Of all he had been through, how he had been put down, and berated now that he no longer had (Y/n) by his side to defend him. Of all the times that he had sat alone, wondering where (Y/n) was and what she was doing. Wondering if she was safe and well. If she had been able to achieve all that she had hoped to achieve. But most of all........if she..............if she had found someone else. Ed not sure that he could blame her if she had. Sure that any man that could claim her heart, would be the luckiest man in the world.

He hadn't noticed, or in truth, didn't care that Jim and Harvey had been watching him. He hadn't noticed that Bullock had made his way over to Gordon's desk and taken a seat on the corner, his arms crossed over his chest; the two detectives having all manner of questions going through their minds that they so desperately wanted to ask. The pair wondering how Ed and the out-of-town commissioner could know one another. Harvey deciding that he couldn't just sit there in silence any longer, as the riddling forensic scientist continued to look through the window of Essen's office.

"So.........you and the commissioner, huh?" Harvey said, Ed turning to look at him, it obvious that the scientist was a little taken aback by part of the question.

"Commissioner..........?"

"Yeah...........commissioner. She's here to see how we work here. How we deal with the caseloads we have. Why the hell else would we be showing her around?" Harvey replied, quirking his brow as Ed stood there open mouthed for a moment before turning back to look into the office.

Commissioner? A police commissioner? His (Y/n) had become a cop? He knew that she had sort of always been interested in that kind of thing. Her dad had been a military policeman, so perhaps it should have been obvious. And to be a commissioner at her age proved that she must have done a good job; that she must have gone above and beyond all those around her. Ed finding himself even more desperate to talk to her now.

Suddenly the door to the office opened, stopping Harvey from asking any more questions, the captain looking at Ed as he did his best to look around her to where (Y/n) had been sat.

"Can I help you?" Sarah enquired, her arms crossing over her chest as she looked up a Ed. Ed's eyes growing wide once again, as (Y/n) came up behind the captain.